Double-tapping issue with Apple Pencil

Did a little investigating, and I think I have some potentially helpful info. It tends to work almost flawlessly when I first open the app, but becomes somewhat buggy after a minute or so, and almost unusable after 10-15.

I also notice that the UI display, when I tap on a surface, takes longer - closer to a second.

If I had to guess, there’s either a memory leak, or perhaps undo/redo history is slowing down the app - SPECIFICALLY when you make a selection, which updates the contextual UI. This could also affect timing for selection specific actions, and would significantly affect multi-selection actions like double tapping.

It feels like the 2nd tap of a double tap is being caught on a hung frame, due to UI or rendering.

Some potential solves tho might be to run input detection on a separate thread from UI or rendering, so that a double-tap that lands on a processing frame is still caught. Ofc “make UI appear faster” or “cleanup memory leak” could work too, but those are potentially huge tasks. Anyway, I’d guess the root issue is the 2nd tap is just being lost. I hope that helps!

2 Likes