Apple Pencil not selecting a body consistently with double tap

Double tapping a body with an Apple Pencil is not functioning well. Most often it fails. It makes the drawing process inefficient. Is this a known problem again as it was in the fall of 2023? Based on past topic posts and experience, this is not the first or second time.

Here’s an idea. Maybe an additional second method needs creating such as holding the Apple Pencil tip on an object for a certain time frame to bring up a menu. From the menu, one could choose say, Select Body, Hide Body, Move Body, Isolate Body and Duplicate Body. This would bypass the double tap, speed the process and add functionality.

2 Likes

Hi Joe,
Does it help if you close the Items and History sidebars?

Hi Bob,

No, closing the items or history does not help.

It seems the failure or success of selecting with a double tap is a function of area or cubic volume. Choose two sides of a body, double tap the body and the selection works every time. Specifically, pick any two sides first, parallel or perpendicular, double tap and it works every time. In addition, double tapping small bodies say, a 12” 2x4 works more often than with larger bodies but still at a high failure rate.

Selecting only one surface before double tapping fails almost every time. Not selecting any side fails almost every time. Sometimes, I get lucky and it works. I have tried changing the rhythm or speed of my double taps to no avail. (Pulling my hair out definitely doesn’t help. Maybe I should try cursing at it? lol)

Thanks for responding. Besides hoping for a fix, I hope my suggestion for adding functionality via a drop down menu describes in my post gets consideration. It would stream line the drawing process. It is an idea that I have had for quite awhile.

Joe

Joe Sansone, Jr. DVM, MBA
636-497-9150

What hardware do you use? Maybe it’s a big project with a lot of objects?

I don’t see any problems with selections on my iPad. I start experiencing this kind of struggling only when project has more when 4000 objects in it.

Have also experienced some of this for awhile, especially like @Xdrakosha said in large assemblies. Since the update though now there’s another interesting aspect where it will sometimes select all edges of the particular body, but no faces upon first double tap.

Never faced with this kind of glitch yet.

Happens irregularly, typically when double tapping on an edge vs face. It’s not a problem, just de-select and re double tap. Just started noticing it since it was new.

I think that would interesting feature be able to select all edges by double tapping on one of them. But I couldn’t reproduce, on a cube for example.

Yes, much more a glitch than a feature. It’s not re-produceable it just happens randomly sometimes.

Hi Joe,

My situation is a little different, where closing the sidebars usually helps. When working and my double tap doesn’t select the first time I close the sidebars and it is better. I know the Shapr3D folks are trying to solve, but have not been able to nail it down yet. I’ll make sure to include this thread with them. If you can and want to include a problematic design it may help.

I like your idea of a menu when holding the pencil down for a short while. It would probably be good if you posted that idea as a “Feature request” so it doesn’t get lost.

For me Shapr3D works quite stable on iPad. Only problem I have is ignoring my first finger touch after pencil tap, but that’s not a Shapr3D problem unfortunately.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate you passing it along to Shapr3D.

I will make the feature request. It would save lots of steps.

I have been using Shapr3D for a few years now. I decided I should make some suggestions on some other ideas. I used to design software and ideas come to me. I thought that I should also present this double tap selection bug, as well. What is the best way to keep tabs on what the Shapr3D folks are doing to address it?

Thank you,

Joe

636-497-9150

I find Shapr3D stable. I like how it has grown, too. But, growing pains happen. It appears the double tap selection was a problem last year and another time before. I remember it last year. For a while, I wondered if my drawing had gotten corrupted somehow.

I think Shapr3D is a really good product that keeps getting better.

Joe

636-497-9150

Joe,
You can’t really keep tabs on what they are doing. The best we can do is report our findings, especially when things get better or worse. I’ve had problems with double tap in the past, and still today but not as severe; it has gotten quite a bit better. For me, when I have double tap problem that is the reminder to close the sidebars. So I am a bit sensitive to the double tap issue, and intrigued that the sidebar status didn’t make a difference to you.

I understand if you don’t want to post your design to the open forum. Suggest you create a support ticket with Shapr3D and attach the file; they keep it confidential. If they can reproduce the problem, they are much closer to finding a solution.

You can do you on your Shapr3D Account Page (https://account.shapr3d.com/ ) → click on your e-mail in the upper right corner → Open new support ticket.

Yes, the project is a house drawing with lots of objects. Still, I expect Shapr3D to hold up. I tested the double tap on a much smaller drawing. It worked as it should. So yes, a larger project drawing makes it fail.

I had this happen before when the drawing was much smaller. And, there were others writing about the problem. I found these searching for a solution.

I imagine there are larger drawings than mine by others.

I have an iPad Pro with the M1 chip. I plan to buy the iPad Pro coming out tomorrow. I am sure that will help. My iPad Pro is starting to lag. The double tap seems to fail because of this. It has crossed my mind. Maybe the my iPad Pro’s lag fails to respond in time with the double tap. I would get more of a desktop machine, but rehabbing our house requires mobility. Or at least it sure helps.

Here again is a solution and a workflow efficiency option. I think a pencil gesture to open a drop down menu with a select object option would work well. It could also have a hide, go to folder, hide object or hide folder option and even an unhide all option. Folders are great for grouping things. Tracking down folders can take time, especially a sub folder.

Thanks for your responses.

Joe

Is there a connected keyboard? Because I have the same problem, iPad Pro M1 + Magic Keyboard + Apple Pencil, when the keyboard is connected, Shapr3D’s response is a bit slow, sometimes it can’t even draw a straight line, but it returns to normal after removing the keyboard.

Thanks for asking and sharing your findings.

I have an Apple keyboard and trackpad. I don’t see problems when I have them connected. Yet, I most often use my Apple Pencil alone and not all three together.

I think the problem has to do with the size of Shapr3D and my drawing. The program has become very functional in a short while and the size of my drawing has gotten larger. Smaller drawings work fine. It appears the lag time within the larger file interrupts the double tap response. It causes it to act like a face select followed by a deselect versus two quick taps to select the whole body. Drawing a simple line has a seconds delay.

This double tap issue is one reason I think a Pencil gesture that opens a drop down menu with a select option and others is needed. Besides, the double tap gets a bit monotonous and sometimes inaccurate in certain situations, like this one. I do like the Apple Pencil, but Shapr3D could add some functionality. Hover and highlight could work similar to the same on a mouse. I would like it if I could hold the tip of the pencil over a line and have it light up leaving to me to tap it.

If Apple announces an upgraded iPad Pro today, I will get one of them. It sounds like they will. But if not or the price seems ridiculous, I will buy the fastest Mac Mini or a MacBook Air with the M3. I did buy a MacBook Air with an M3 but returned it.

I returned the MacBook Air because a mouse and trackpad were uncomfortable and difficult after the iPad Pro. I would have had to buy equipment from 3dconnexion. I was about to do it, but then found out about today’s coming announcement. The MacBook Air had good processing power with the M3 and 16 GB of RAM.

Today is when I decide my next hardware. Processing power should solve the lag issues.

Joe

We’ve recently made a few improvement around this issue, it will be released with version 5.620.

3 Likes

The new iPad M4 is out, and I really want to switch, but I don’t have a reason to switch. :sweat_smile: If your problem is a bug, it might be better to wait for an update and try again before deciding whether to switch.

I ordered the new iPad Pro and new Pencil during the announcement. This is my shortest time frame for an Apple device upgrade. And, I never thought I would order an Apple product during its announcement. I am pretty deliberate and was this time. I had certain criteria before the announcement and they met those.

One of my sons is needing to replace his older MacBook Pro that I gave him some time ago. He is going to buy this time my iPad Pro from me. It works to upgrade in many ways.

I notice a long lag when opening, syncing or drawing. I need to work with the large drawing file of our house rehab project. It’s a good move.

You are right, Shapr3D identified a double tap bug and is addressing it. I got an email. By the way, Shapr3D was mentioned during the iPad Pro announcement. They have arrived in the world of Apple.

Apple Pencil now has more functionality. One can squeeze it and a menu pops up. Sounds like my suggestion for a popup menu option was in then works. It seemed like a good idea. Plus, Apple described a hover function when drawing. I am enthusiastic about it. I had suggested it too, because I know a mouse has this capability. Selection with Apple Pencil can become much more fluid.

Thanks again for your help.

Joe