Drawings are automatic merged!

Hello ! I normally draw mulitpe line or polyline before make polygone or 3d shape but
when I draw multiple shape when any line or corner meets it combined automatically. I want select separate shape eventhough its overlapped how can I solve this? any solution?

Hey there!

This has probably something to do with your constraints settings. As you certainly know, constraints are a fundamental part of sketching.

There are two different places to access constraints settings: the top left cog icon (defaults) after selecting, and a much more detailed one in the lower corner under the magnet icon.

Make sure that you toggle only what you need and want. If you donā€™t, you can always turn on and off any constraints, locked and/or connected points/lines/arcs. Make use of ā€œconstruction sketches (reference sketches not interfering) and actual sketches. Careful constraints planning is not going to waste your time, trust me.

Try toggling on and off what you need or not.
If the problem persists, Iā€™d recommend opening a CS ticket.

Cheers

Hey! @Loki is right, this selection is unified due to the two rectangles are constrained together.

To select the two rectangles separately, try deleting the constraint connecting them together like this:

1 Like

@Sebestyen Thanks!
I thought about uploading a video as well, but constraints are straightforward and easy to understand.
Glad you posted a video though!
Now I wonder if Iā€™m lazy, tired or mischievous :smiling_imp:

Hey, there are very detailed tutorials about 2D sketching and constraints. Why is (almost) everyone skipping/ignoring/overlooking them?

I think itā€™s partly to the nature of Sharp. Since itā€™s a direct modelling tool, changing the sketch once the 3D body is created, has no effect on the body. Therefore many users donā€™t really do detailed sketches, just modify the 3D bodies as they see fit, and generate manufacturing drawings from the body later.

We also have many users who donā€™t have CAD background, so they might not be familiar with the concept of constrained sketches, and in many cases, they simply donā€™t need it.

1 Like

appriceiated!

1 Like

thanks a lot!!

Sure, people have all kinds of backgrounds!
Direct modeling is indeed very different from other techniques regarding the order of steps/stages, how 2D interacts with 3D, and the opposite ā€¦

Better a great sketch than a shape ā€œlacking eleganceā€, but I understand. We all have our workflows and preferences, no matter how experienced/skilled we are. Plus this forum is for each other to share tips and tricks!

Just gotta say that a few months ago, I was only using drag drop for almost every solid/polysurfaceā€¦ then curiosity didnā€™t kill the cat and got me into constraints and ā€œsketch-basedā€. Having different techniques in my toolbox is a definite plus.

1 Like

Issue solved, then?

If yes, thatā€™s great!