Why can't I merge sketches all of a sudden?

Hello. I have been using the Shapr3D program satisfactorily for a year, and since April, I have been using it with a one-year subscription. However, after the recent update, I noticed that a feature I always used is missing. When I translate one plane sketch parallel or move it to the front or back, it does not merge with the sketch in the same position. When I inquired via email, I received a response mentioning the addition of a history feature, which creates another plane sketch in the same position. Is there a way to turn this feature on or off? Please solve this problem for me. If not, I will have no choice but to cancel my subscription, as there would be no point in using this program anymore. ㅠㅠ

Hello Doyeon,

Please try the project tool.

As @Cjacob suggested, you can to use the project tool, but it is not always as simple as it seems.

As you can have multiple sketches on the same plane now, you can simply create all the sketches on the same plane and do not need anymore creating them on separate planes before merging them all together. Please consider doing so as it will be by far the best solution.

If you need to keep the current workflow and merge sketches, here is the full story.

First, be aware of a few things:

• if you select the sketch to project and then the sketch you want to project to, it will create a new sketch, which is not what you want,
  • so you have to enter first into the sketch you want to project to (as if you wanted to edit it)
  • and from the sketch menu, select project
  • and then select the sketch you want to project
  • and click in an empty space to validate the projection

Second, be aware that now order of creation of sketches matter, as the sketch you want to project must have been created before the sketch on which you want to project. If it not the case, then you must move this sketch before the projection sketch by dragging it in the history tab.

Third, be aware also that the projection will be drawn in violet line and is not editable or movable. As a side effect, you will no longer be able to move anymore the sketch hosting this projection (this may or may not be a problem for you) as long as the projection is present on this sketch.

Fourth, if you need the projection to be editable and/or to move the whole sketch, you have to:

• copy the projection (violet lines) from the sketch edition menu (copy and move by 1mm for instance). Copy is allowed. Move is not allowed.
  • then you can delete the violet version of the projection
  • If needed, you can of course move back the copy by -1mm to get it in the original location.

At this point, you will have recover the same state as with the non parametric version of the SW when you placed two sketches on the same plane.

Obviously way more steps than before, but you probably do not need to do it anymore, as previous workflow was a kind of workaround to the fact that you couldn’t have multiple sketches on the same plane.

Pec

2 Likes