Exporting into external software while remaining hierarchy and textures

I use Shapr for designing and sometimes for visualization in presentations, but I generally rely on external software to create renderings from my Shapr files. The problem is that I can’t export my Shapr objects with colors or textures to external software. The .OBJ export, the only format shapr supports, doesn’t maintain color/textures and hierarchy. As a result, when I import files from Shapr in my external software, I end up with only grey objects, and the hierarchy is flattened into a single folder. Organizing these external files is a significant hassle. Currently, I have to rearrange my files object by object, but some of my files contain more than 10,000 objects, making rearrangement impossible. Additionally, I lose all the texturing work done in Shapr. It would be really helpfull if you could either improve your .OBJ export or add .FBX or GLTF export options to Shapr that do support hierarchy and textures. I apologize for revisiting these issues, but they are major obstacles in my use of Shapr, and I believe they could be relatively easily fixed.

At the moment USDZ is the best option to export textures from Shapr3D.

Thank you, I am aware of that. However, the USDZ format isn’t widely used in professional modeling. I believe SimLabs offers some monthly subscription options for a Rhino and SketchUp plugin, but not for the software I use sadly. I’ll either continue waiting or try to adjust my workflow.

USDZ can be easily converted to GLTF, they are very similar.

The first issue to address is that, as far as I know, the USDZ exporter is only accessible when entering AR mode. Unfortunately, I can’t get my large files, which function smoothly in the Shapr workflow, into AR. The system indicates they are too large to display, and as a result, I can’t even click the export button. I’m always cautious about opening large files in AR since I know it doesn’t work well. Unless there’s a dedicated USDZ export button, it might potentially work. However, at the moment, this functionality is not operational as far as I know .

The second step would indeed involve using a converter. I haven’t tested whether file transfers are successful; I could attempt it with a very small file, which might work and be useful for certain project applications. However, my primary goal is to find a method to transfer my entire file, or large portions of it, without losing the hierarchy and at least retaining the color on the objects.

I can imagine that your USDZ export might not be optimized at this point. Similar to how your visualization mode initially had issues that caused significant lag on the iPad, which were later resolved through optimization. Perhaps a similar optimization process is needed for the USDZ files.

Hi,

You can export in USDZ format in the Export menu, without opening it in AR, alternatively if the iPad still cannot handle the file because of it’s size, this function is also available on mac.

Thanks , I will try that . I couldn’t find it on the pc , but I also have a mac.

Yes, it’s not available on Windows as it’s an Apple specific format (a modification of the standard USD format).