Face offset bug?

I’m not sure if this is a bug or just a weird artifact of how I created the cylinder wrap (via this method: Accurate method to wrap a sketch to a cylinder)

This face seems to be consistent and selectable:

Offsetting it seems to work in some parts, but then also not in others, all at once:

Here’s the file:
Weirdness.shapr (1.6 MB)

Is this fixable?

Hello @justin,

Thanks for reporting the issue, I was able to reproduce it. We’ll check what is the problem.

Hi @justin and @KPeter

@justin Very nice shape indeed.

the problem is caused by the summit of two edges being very close to the limit of a portion of the cylinder. The Boolean Union operation does not perform as expected in this case nor does the offset face. Exemple of problematic summits are circled in red.

Two workarounds:

• move the problematic summits away from the edge of the cylinder’s portion by a small amount (eg 0.01mm) on the sketch
  • or do the face offset before doing the Boolean Union, which is what I’ve done on the .shapr project.

I dit it one portion of the cylinder at a time to identify the problematic parts.
It works fine until offset 14 of the history.
Then, if you try to offset face on (1)+(2) or (1)+(3) of the screenshot, it fails. You can offset (2)+(3) and then offset (1).

So, on history’s Face Offset 14, I offset everything except the shapes like (1), and on Face Offset 15, I offset the remaining shapes like (1).

Last change, I used Replace Face instead of Face Offset to resize the height of the cylinder as it creates a better result with a top smooth face without an edge.

Weirdness_explained.shapr (5.0 MB)

Best,
PEC

1 Like

Thanks for the info! And yeah, I ended up doing the extrude before the union and it’s worked well since.

Is there a way to identify problems like the summits in question, or is it just an issue you’re already familiar with?