Fillet selections for machined and molded stiffeners

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

Fast fillet selections for machined features
Machined pockets in a body need a fillet for the cutter diameter and for the tip radius of a bull-nose cutter. When modelling many pockets such as in an iso-grid stiffener pattern, selecting all applicable edges to fillet is slow and error prone.

Finished geometry:

Normally would pattern the pockets without fillets:
Picture1

… and then fillet all the vertical edges and then all the pocket bottoms.

Can partially improve by filleting the pocket toolbodies before patterning them and subtracting them
Picture2

… then you need to still pick all the edges normal to the pocket bottoms individually with a lot of zooming and rotating to apply the fillets at the sidewalls.

before finishing with the fillet command and selecting all the pocket bottoms to apply the bull-nose radius:
Picture3

This workflow would accelerate significantly, if, in the fillet command, you could select a face and indicate whether you want the perimeter edges, or the edges that touch that face. If I selected the pocket bottoms in the second image to capture all the vertical edges that touch those faces, or the front face to select all vertical edges and unselected the outer corners, I’d have the selections made immediately, without error.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

As above, this would reduce the number of operations and significantly accelerate the creation of machined components similar to the iso-grid sample shown. Often, I typically design such components with hundreds of pockets, not just 44!

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

Work/life balance. :slight_smile:

1 Like