Filetting Multiple Pockets?

I have this shape:

I’d like to add fillets to the inside pockets - is there any easy way to select all those edges? Basically I’d need to manually select (at least) four edges in each pocket, which is going to require a lot of zooming and rotating and be quite error prone. Is there any better way?

Thanks!

You can select the face and then hit fillet, it will select all edges associated with the face. If you don’t want to fillet the outer edges you will have to manually de-select them. At least that’s the only solution i’ve found to this type of operation.

2 Likes

Hi Peter,

The easiest way is a Keyboard Maestro macro! :wink:

Try this. Make the body much thicker. View the body from a side. Use the select tool, dragging from right to left; and get only edges (type E).
If that gets more than you want, you’ll have to deselect some edges. Apply your fillet. Set the thickness back to original.

1 Like

I will note that you can change which edges are included after you have executed the fillet command. Open History and you can see, and have opportunity to edit, which edges are involved—select or deselect! You can also change other attributes as well.

1 Like

Be nice if they had a “Alt + click” an edge would select all edges touching the selected edge on a particular plane.

Another way to do it is to just go into the 2d view and box select the edges by going left to right.

It all depends on exactly which edges you want to select.

3 Likes

I think this is a really important point. Trying to select all the edges perfectly is extremely tedious and error prone, and a single click and it loses all your work in carefully selecting/deselecting.

But instead, if I select some reasonable subset, apply the fillet, and then edit the set, I can make changes to the set piecemeal adding several at a time and confirming the selection and no way to accidentally deselect everything.

Here is another helpful thing. If you missclick and loose all your selections just use undo function that will restore selections.

Hi,

In addition to what has been said before, I find really helpful to view the part without perspective (from top for instance) to do this kind of selection.

I quickly reproduce the general shape of your design, and in your case, you can simply select the edges by carefully drawing the selection rectangle from left to right to encompass all the desired edges (video 1). Don’t forget to select edges in the selection type.

You can also select from right to left, and unselect the few unwanted edges (video 2).

In a more general situation, when it is not possible to grab everything on a single selection, you can always to multiple selections (video 3).

And in case someone asks, if you want to select the edges on one face only, just activate section view before doing the selection (video 4)

Video 1 : selection from left to right

Video 2 : selection from right to left

Video 3 : multiple selection

Video 4 : selection on one face only using section view

Hope it helps :grinning:

2 Likes

It does, and I definitely appreciate the suggestions, although what I am trying to do is chamfer the pockets only (ie, the inside edges, not the edges on the surface face). This part is intended to be laser cut, so it can’t chamfer the surface edges.

Avoiding collecting the surface edges in the rectangular selection is part of the difficulty. But perhaps you have a suggestion for a way to make that easier as well?

Thanks!

Hi @peternlewis

understand now; then just do the selection from the side of the part, right to left (activating hidden edges helps adjusting the start and end of the selection).
You will grab also 4 unwanted edges that you need to deselect before doing fillet.

4 Likes

Did my video above not help with this mate? If you look at the object in 2D view (so the pockets are perpendicular to the grid) you should be able to just box select those edges really easilu. Even quicker if you’re on a computer and hold the shift button.

1 Like

Yes, it did, I was replying to @PEC to see whether there were any other methods (but they used the same technique in this case).

Selecting from the side is reasonably good at getting mostly the desired edges with only a handful of extra ones. Combined with being able to edit in the history, this is a fairly straight forward solution.

I appreciate all the responses, they definitely help.