free hand sketching for quick pre-modeling ideation

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

The problem that this feature will solve:

Using so much cognitive loading to translate the idea or shape of product in mind to which plane or Part of the design I am in right now. Instead, and just like i had to do with many of the more complex mechanical part designs, I would sketch them on a piece of paper in isometric view or in different front and side views before I translate that to my CAD program. Sometimes, and when creating complex models, I would literally take pictures of front and side views and put them on planes in the CAD software to reference part locations and design details.

It would be much more efficient and “much stickier” to have the ability to make a new project, create quick sketches in multiple planes and then start creating the lines and solid modelings using those sketches as a rough reference of the different features of the shape I’m designing. This would work so well with the fact that Shapr3D is designed with the Apple Pencil in mind.

Consider adding screenshots and as many details as possible, to help the Shapr3D team and the community understand why you need this feature. Describing your workflow helps us building the right feature.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:
Ability to sketch ideas for my designs in a matter of a couple of minutes and get a rough free hand scribble of circles and lines showing almost a wireframe or skeleton of what I’m about to make.

Note: a Shapr3D competitor is providing a similar feature so it seems like there is a demand for it. However their software is way more inferior in other aspects of the solid modeling workflow.

Eg. “this feature should allow me to edit and create constrained assemblies with 100 000+ parts” or “using this feature I should be able to create G2 continuous lofts and manipulate the shape real time” or “with this feature I want to be able to quickly find a part in my designs by searching for its name”.
Understanding the outcomes that you expect from this feature helps us more than describing an actual implementation of the feature that you’d expect.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

Without this feature, it’s hard to achieve a smooth and uninterrupted transition between early low fidelity conception and creation of a mid-fidelity 3D model.

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

It’s not a blocker for post-prototype projects. However, it is a blocker for prototyping since I usually find it difficult to transition to CAD from early prototype instead of making multiple hand sketched views or making a low fidelity prototype by hand instead.

I’m curious to hear what other fellow Shapr3D users think as well.