Having Trouble Importing STP

Hello - I have an STP file that was created from a 3D scan of a large 25’ long object (boat hull) that I have had a lot of issues importing into Shapr3D.

I did not perform the scan (it was done by a professional service), so I do not know what programs or processes were used in post processing of the scan.

The file is 11.3 MB in size. When I try to import into Shapr3D, it will take many hours to complete. When it finally imports, the object is damaged (random parts are missing from it, like 1/4 of an entire side to the boat). Last night I attempted to import it, let the iPad sit (iPad pro 10") for 3 hours, eventually I fell asleep and when I woke up the next morning it was imported, except damaged.

I do not have any Fusion 360 experience, however I downloaded their viewing app for iPad and when I attempt to import the file into that program it works just fine and the object appears undamaged.

Any input or advice on what I can do to mitigate this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
Could you please share the file here or at support@shapr3d.com? Please also tell us what version of Shapr3D are you using. Thanks

Peter,

Thanks for the reply! I just missed the notification on it.

I just sent the file to the support email address. It is 12MB so hopefully the attachment made it through.

As far as the version of Shapr3d I’m using, it says I am using app version 5.0.0 (1864) #25daeed9 when I got to the settings.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, received it! Do you know how was the surface made from the mesh? It is a relatively simple hull shape defined by thousands of control points. It is an extremely over-defined geometry that will take some time to open in Shapr3D especially on an iPad.

The missing surfaces are also the result of this huge amount of control points. The hull is made of 133 surface elements and there are some neighboring ones where one surface has several times more control points than the one next to it. If a software works with tight tolerances, this amount of control point difference between two surfaces next to each other may result in gaps between the surfaces. This is the reason behind loosing some elements in Shapr3D - which I can confirm happens after opening your file in Shapr3D.

Please also note that Shapr3D is a solid body modeling software, we do not support the editing of surface models like this one. You’ll see that as you try to edit it, there will be an error telling you sheet body cannot be selected.

I’d like to ask you to reduce the number of control points and make it a solid body to work with it in Shapr3D. With that amount of control point for this shape, I’m afraid you will experience slowdowns even in an advanced surface modeling tool.

Peter,

Thanks for the reply!

I’m not sure of the nuances of how the surface was made from the mesh… We hired a professional service that came out with some high end 3d scanning equipment and generated the file.

Is there a way that I can reduce the control points so I can utilize the file in Shapr3d without having to re-engage the 3d scanning company?

Really the only thing I’m looking to do with the file in Shapr3d is use it as a template to design parts that will fit inside the hull, which will be cut via CNC.

So its essencially a function of the subtract tool, using the hull as the element to be subtracted. I don’t intend on altering/modifying the shape in any way.

Thanks in advance for any further help!

Hello,

Yeah, I see the goal with the model and I am afraid that some additional steps should be made before it can be properly used in Shapr3D.

To reduce the control points, I think it would be better to use a surface modeling software that provides some control over the geometries. It is not necessary to look for single-span surfaces, but a cleaner one would be much easier to handle.
Although the simplification could be skipped, it is necessary to convert the surface into a solid body by simply giving it a thickness. Shapr3D is a solid body modeling tool at this time, surface elements cannot be created or modified.

The only way I can see to work with the existing model is to use the surface model as a cutting face with the Split Body tool. I tried it and it works, but because of the missing right side, you may have to work on one half of the designed part, cut them with the existing half of the hull, then mirror them to the other side.