Help with 3D design for enclosed parts

In a current project I want to include a magnet and an NFC tag inside of a 3D print. So I‘ll insert a pause Gcode command into the sliced object for inserting the magnet and NFC tag and then the printer should continue printing over the inserted things.
Currently I‘m struggling with designing for this in Shapr3D.
Is there any tutorial/video online that show how to design holes/chambers for this use case? Or any tips/hints for a Shapr3D beginner like me?

Thanks
Stefan.

Hi Stefan,

After you design your part, make 2 more models; one for the magnet, the other for the NFC tag. Then add what ever tolerance you want to the magnet and tag by offsetting all the faces, (0.1mm works pretty well, you may want to test so the embedded objects are not too tight) to make these embedded part designs bigger. Then it is a matter of positioning the embedded objects where you want and subtracting them from your main part.

When you position the parts, it is good to consider the printed layer height.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t need a tutorial. If you draw the magnet/ tag shape a little larger for tolerance you can simply subtract it from the model’s body anywhere by moving into position you want it internally on the body.

Name it magnet and tag in the items folder so you can easily select them to move into place and for subtracting from the main body.

In your slicer you can move the que to the last print layer before it covers the cavity and add a pause.

In order to get the max force from the magnet you will want to minimize the amount of thermoplastic in the area of force of the magnet to 1mm or less (less is better depending on print layer height. Especially true for tiny magnets.

RFID tags aren’t as sensitive. Some materials like metalized filament or carbon fiber filament wouldn’t be ideal either.

1 Like