How to disable History-Based Parametric features in the live version?

Same, workflow is now terrible, insane amounts of crashing and loading loops on multiple simple files. just not worth it anymore i.m.o

1 Like

This has single handedly been the most frustrating change, I left for a week on a cruise a couple weeks ago and I came back to this update just ruining my workflow, truthfully I am only using and paying for this app for the apple pencil functionality since i like to model on the couch rather than at my computer but I find myself just getting pissed even trying to make a simple subtraction.

What’s worse is how i have recommended this product to everyone saying that updates have only made it better.

Do you have any suggestions what to improve? What are the things that you can’t do or find harder to do than before?

Shapr got a lot slower, that is a fact. Why it is slower, no idea, but the history feature seems to be the culprit and not being allowed to delete sketches and or certain objects doesnt make it better.

The history has nothing to offer for me, because workflows developed using shapr, that simply do not require it.

We are aware that in some cases, when there are 3,000+ part assemblies are loaded into Shapr3D, the app can be slower than it was. We are already working on a fix for this. Besides this use case, do you have any specific examples where Shapr3D is slower than it used to be?

There seems to be a major delay when shapr starts. I do not have multiple thousand parts. More like one or two hundred max i think. Shapr seem to be slower when i grab stuff and move it, either manually or entering a number. Plus it reverts movements, when i move the control slider in order to zoom in and do another move.

With control slider i mean the xyz controls you can move by grabbing the little white circle.

Yes, loading workspaces can be slower sometimes too. We’re about to release an update in which you’ll be able to collapse the history. That will accelerate the load time as well at the cost of losing the history.

This should not happen. If you can reproduce it, please give us an example, we’d like to look into it.

This behavior has indeed changed, we are changing it back to work very similarly to how it used to work with the next release.

Cant you make it slide? So i grab the circle, move the controls to a relevant surface, and when i zoom in, the controls try to stay in view and slide along that surface. First move object, then controls, then camera is not a good workflow.

Nothing to reproduce really. It just often feels slower than what I am used to from the pre history versions. As if i had double that many objects.

My post that you removed. Will support still look into it and respond to it?

Deleting things now takes longer too i think. Plus something i noticed is, even though there is the history now, the back button on the top is still limited by the current session.

I would also really apreciate a feature to turn off predictions and switch to a “remember last state” mode instead. So no repositioning of the screen when i hit space, because i only work on a small part of a large surface mostly. Not having to select “new object” every time, when i extrude. Not having to select the same folder mutliple times, when exporting. There is probably more, that i dont remember right now. A menu where you can check each of those features, to activate or deactive it, would be very useful. Also, you introduced a “hit escape” workflow when moving and resizing, but then when i use the add text feature and hit escape, it behaves differently and cancels it, after moving and resizing. That is inconsistent.

We haven’t detected any performance degradation in the delete operation. If you could share an example, we’d look into it.

We’ll improve this behavior this year. Operation defaults won’t be remembered, as we know that it can cause extreme confusion, but defaults like save location, formats etc. should be saved.

Yes, you save too many defaults i think. There seem to be multiple variables linked to save location. For me, a single one would be enough. I make a new project and the new folder i use i want opened as a default for all actions. Right now it still opens older folders a couple times , until all is set onto the new project.

Like i said, i cant say “this is an example”. All i can say is, that since the history update, it feels slower. A factor also might be annoyance, causing impatience. Now i just lost a lid of a lamp somehow and have to redo it (history?). Interfering that deep in established workflows, in an app that is all about not being forced into the workflows of traditional cad apps, is a dangerous path imho.

One more thing. You removed the ability to scroll through fonts with the arrows, a long time ago. Bad move imho. Now i need to start a second app in order to decide for a font for the current project. That is not helping the gameflow either. The great appeal of shapr was that i can do anything intuitively and without hassle. I did not need a single tutorial by now and i consider that quite an achievement. Now however, i sense a disctinct change in the direction shapr goes and i am not sure it is an improvement.

I am not against more options. Options are great. But they should be optional. Kind of like in Prusaslicer where you can select if you only want basic features, or display all features.

I understand that. We’ve received a few reports about some specific cases where we could reproduce the performance problems. We are addressing those. If you can share similar reports, we can look into your use cases too.

2 Likes

I will send you a pm with an image of the type of project that is affected, so you got a general idea.

I have several projects with less than ten unioned bodies, and those are slow too. There is definitely something going on. If it gives a clue, on one project, it takes 6 seconds to isolate a body, and 30 seconds to unisolate it. It just makes the whole workflow so slow.

My standard workaround now has just been to export the project in x_t format and importing it back into another project to remove all the sketches, and then it back to the way it was before. So, it is related to the skecthes. Some of the sketches had bezier curves, but otherwise nothing unusual.

Can you share an example? You can send it to me directly or to our support team if it’s not confidential.

It may or may not be related to sketches, during export/reimport a lot of things are happening.