Deleting the sketching pane deletes associated body

I don’t know if this is a bug or not, but it doesn’t happen in the regular, non beta Shapr3D. I hope it gets fixed soon, as I now have to make a folder dedicated to hiding the sketching panes, which is inconvenient compared to just deleting them.

I see.
Any idea if there will ever be a feature that allows deletion of sketching planes?

1 Like

No, that’s “incompatible” with parametric modeling. Why do you want to delete them isntead of just hiding them?

It’s mostly to do with convenience with my drawing tablet, I have to go back to my mouse to drag it into the folder instead of just pressing delete, which is what I would normally do.
I’ve started making folders for the sketch planes, and I suppose that’s the solution here.

Why do you need to go back to your mouse? You can drag it with your fingers as well. Long tap+drag.

Ill have to try that, in the past it hasn’t worked but I don’t have my drawing tablet on me so it’ll be a bit, I appreciate the info

In the “old” Direct Modeling Shapr, many of my designs would only have bodies when I was done. It seemed “cleaner,” and often sketches just got in the way. Like when selecting a body but double tap on a sketch. Any sketches I needed I could recreate with projections. The great Claas Kuhnen even mentioned that in one of his tutorials. With HBPM, deleting sketches is something to avoid. Would a “Hide” button by the “Delete” button be feasible?

We are working in improving the auto-hiding logic. In most cases your sketches will be hidden automatically.

Great, thanks!

is there’s chance have a option to disconnect sketch
because to much sketch looks Messy
too many sketch will slow down the devices

We won’t have an option for that. Multiple sketches should not slow down your device. If that happens, please file a bug report.

I think this is what I want to express.

Sorry, my expression may have misunderstood you.
When I use NX, I have this function. “removed parameters”

1 Like

This is the reason I would like to be able to delete or detach sketches, etc. Maybe this is actually a bug, not sure, but as you can see in the video, the loft does not work unless I remove the sketches or move them completely away from previous sketches. Prior to this example, the sketch was more complicated and took longer to deal with. I don’t have a problem throwing all sketches into one folder and hiding it, the problem is when they interfere with other sketches, some of the features break, or at least the lofting feature here does.

Example Issue

Hi @JeridHill , the solution for this issue will be to properly handle neighbouring profiles in the Loft command. We’ll definitely improve this.

1 Like

Hi all,
I understand the confusion for those new to Parametric modeling. The whole point is to be able to go back to step 1 and make a change where everything (hopefully) updates. Sketches are usually the main driving force to accomplish that goal. Frequently one of the best methods for creating parts is to create 1 or several layout sketches that may contain the overall key definitions of the part or object you are creating. These can be used to drive the whole model. (Think of it this way… placing drawings/images in the file to work from but with dimensions)

So one thing that would help with the issue of hiding sketches is the sketches being absorbed (aka) automatically hidden after completing an operation such as extrude or loft. Most programs also have a hide all or show all function for sketches which is very useful. But Shapr3D is no different than any other modeler as in if you have multiple sketches showing or overlaping it is difficult to select what you want. Adding an select other option/function can help but ultimately keeping only the necessary sketches showing makes life easier.

As for the multiple bodies question. In a true Assembly mode, not modeling multiple bodies or copying bodies in a single model file, would give the ability to disassociate the body from the history but this also has limited value. A better way is to have a configuration or multiple configurations of the original body but I think thats probably getting way ahead of where they are today.