Is there a way to go back to an older version?

Hello!
I realy gave the Parametric stuff a chance. But it turns out to be a real pain in my design process and everything took way longer than it was before.
As an example, before the Parametric stuff it was pretty easy to make an sketch from holes or entire planes, now it´s nearly impossible without a lot of work, which is Cleary nothing that I like, which was one of the reasons why I swapped to Shapr3d. Everything was pretty easy and now it feels like I want just unsubscribe this bloody hell.

4 Likes

I understand that at the first time parametric modeling can be confusing. What is your problem exactly? Basically if you close the history panel, Shapr3D should work almost exactly the same as before, the biggest difference being that instead of deleting your sketches, you should just hide them.

One of the core stuff that I use in shapr was the auto drawn circle line. It is harder to find the center of the circle hole on a body. Sure I could use projection to get an close enough result, but that would create an another unwanted not deleteable sketch, which I cannot realy use either, since it’s locked. To get out of it I need to to copy! The projection, move it back to the sketch where I wanted my god damn holes and yeah. The entire process take way to long.
For the „just hide the sketch“ phrase, no I don’t want to hide my over 100+ sketches, I want to just delete the ones that I clearly don’t want anymore and just want the back the lovely freedom from shapr which I always appreciated. Beside of the annoying factor, it cost a lot of performance too to have that many sketches, especially when I need a new one.

It’s not satisfying anymore to work with Shapr.

2 Likes

This is a bug, not related to parametric modeling, will be fixed soon.

Then don’t delete them, but turn on the “Bodies” filter in the items menu.

How long until that will be fixed?

This is clearly not a solution. Please just listen to the community

1 Like

Why is this not a solution?

As someone who like to organize its workspace which was always one of the best stuff in shapr, it hurts to not have this freedom anymore. Especially when you have to deal with 100+ sketches.
I realy don’t want to hide them. I want an clean easy workspace with the simplicity that shapr was before. Why is it that hard to hear to the community? Why you guys want to lost a lot of customers? Spoiler alert, there are a lot more powerful parametric design cad softwares out there which don’t cost much more. Now you are forcing me and a lot of other to just go away from shapr.

2 Likes

Well unfortunately I have many issues. There are so many glitches in this new update that I don’t see how this was tested in beta by many people. The constant crashing is a huge issue. Seems this update has caused a huge memory hog. Everything is taking longer to load too. I also seem to have items in my projects flagged with red highlighted text that wasn’t an issue in the previous version. Correcting the issue on the item is impossible without a complete rebuild of the item. When trying to use union or subtract actions during this process is returning a pop up saying it cannot be done. Try to expand the face to fill a gap, nope it will not allow it. Trying to rename the file and item names in the panel is also an issue. I used to be able to double tap the file name in the window and it would highlight the entire name so I just type my new name for it. Now I have to backspace or cmd A to highlight the name. Now if I double tap it takes me out of the rename function. There are more issues but I’m too frustrated to keep on right now.

I have to be completely honest here, I absolutely hate this new update. Unfortunately if this is going to be the new norm then I am going to have to cancel and utilize a different program. I just want the previous version back, it was working just fine without all these new updated options. Should make that an option if someone wants the whole parametric designing but for my purposes it’s completely useless and just takes up valuable screen footprint on my iPad Pro, has caused constant crashes, causing items in a file to be made again, slow loading of programs as well as some functions, inability to delete sketches without deleting the body (which means the file size will be bigger, plus if i send the file to someone they can see all my sketches when i would rather them not), have to learn new processes to get the same results, destroyed my workflow and wasting valuable time.

Please allow those of us who want, to update back to the previous version as this new version will never be more useful for my work. Thank you!

3 Likes

If you turn on the Bodies filter, you’ll be able to organize your designs without the sketches. I understand that you find hiding sketches annoying vs deleting them. We built parametric modeling because that was the no1 request by our customers and community. We understand that for some users this can be a significant change, but this is the future of Shapr3D.

Well I hate to hear that. I would just rather have the previous version. I dont need a tesla roadster when my golf cart does everything I desire. Maybe at the next Weekly Operations Meeting, yall will approve/allow us to use the other version (pre update).

1 Like

I understand your point, but we actually want to build a Model S Plaid. It’s great that you already liked the golf car, but we believe that Model S Plaid will be more successful than a golf car.

That being said with the next release you will be able to collapse the history anytime, removing all the dependencies (but you won’t be able to turn off parametric modeling).

2 Likes

Yeah this is sadly the way me and many other will go. I hate how they deal with us, they made such a powerful Programm which simply works on every meaningful device. With the new route it costs way to much time to model something and it’s feels more like an pre-alpha that should better be not released.

2 Likes

I can appreciate the advancement of a program for those who may want/need it. I just think this should have been an option, ie the old version (Basic Plan) and the new version (Advanced Plan). Or something therein. You know, offer the Plaid and the golf cart, for an extra $5 a month you can get the new advanced updated version.

1 Like

At least there is button to unlink the sketches from the body even if it will cost losing the history of the body itself. Most requested features doesn’t mean most of the Shapr3d user want it.

3 Likes

I agree with what you said.

In the past, I have suggested disconnecting the sketch link.

At least not every sketch needs to be linked. Let me choose which ones need to be linked and which ones are not needed.

But they don’t accept it.

Parameter modeling Many software have been running for more than decades. ex.NX, soildwork, catia

Shapr3d can never surpass them in a short time.

The advantage of shapr3d is that the direct model is fast, but they seem to forget it.

For me, they are just going the old way of parameters.

2 Likes

When is the next release? I used to look forward to modeling in shaper, now I find it difficult to pick up at all.

Multiple sketches on the same plane might sound great, until you need them to interact, then it’s just a problem.

I’ve been using shaper for a few years now, and have spent a lot of time reading forum posts, I’ve got to admit that I never saw a preponderance of requests for history based parametric modeling.

More likely is that is a corporate re-positioning for a divestment that has been rumored before.

There is a lot of work to be done on this program to make it as intuitive as it once was. When will it be intuitive again, why can’t I spend more time designing rather than juggling sketches?

I don’t design single widgets, I design complex assemblies, I’ve seen multiple requests for a better approach to handling complex assemblies, but the response has always been that is somewhere on the roadmap, far away.

Hundreds of sketches does not help with handling complex assemblies. Maybe a single widget.

You’ve been helpful in dealing with basic questions in the past, but this is a big question, and your answer seems to amount to - get over it.

I’ve noticed a minority user base on this forum who aggressively echo this sentiment, but I’ll be voting with my subscription, and I might just decide to go back to programs that I find predictable.

You’ve got to make this better. And not piss off people who’ve paid thousands of dollars to get you this far. Unless the plan is just to sell it off.

4 Likes

Model S Plaid is not accessible for a lot of people, and Tesla share price is not doing well right now. Turns out the CEO is out of touch with a lot of people. Maybe not the best analogy.

1 Like

Shapr3D works pretty much the same as it did before the parametric release, the main difference is that instead of deleting sketches, you need to hide them. If you don’t need the parametric modeling functionality, you can just close the history panel. I understand that this can be inconvenient for the first time, but the benefits that parametric modeling can provide are enormous. I’d recommend getting familiar with those advantages, and elevating your workflow to the next level by combining the power of parametric modeling with the intuitiveness of direct modeling.
Some of the other changes are simply bugs, that occur with biggest releases, for example the lack of circle center snap points, which will be also fixed with the next release. We are releasing new updates every two weeks as always.
Making Shapr3D as accessible as possible is always a priority for us, yet we keep adding more functionality to make Shapr3D a more and more useful tool for our customers. While we would love to make every single one of our users happy all the time, every feature we add will make some of our users happy, and some of our users frustrated. This is how it is when you have hundreds of thousands of users.

While these changes can be frustrating for the first time, as some of them impact your muscle memory, we have tested parametric modeling with hundreds of users before we released it, with designers from Fortune 500 companies and 3D printing hobbyists, and everything in between. We have learned that while these changes can be frustrating for some users initially, after an initial ramp up period, the benefits massively outweigh the early discomfort that these changes are causing. Please keep an open mind, check out some of the new parametric modeling tutorials that we have on our youtube, and I’m sure that you’ll find parametric modeling incredibly useful for your workflow. And we’ll fix many of bugs in a couple of weeks, apologies for that.

4 Likes

If it’s such a good idea to dump all unwanted sketches into a folder, then why can’t this be the default option? I have very many existing projects with hundreds of unwanted sketches, it is very tedious to manually select them to move them.

Filtering by sketch brings up sketches and folders, selecting all selects everything- the filter doesn’t work.

It seems your advice to just get over it doesn’t answer my basic question again, how does this help those who need to make complex assemblies, and not just simple examples like a four legged table, or a revolved speaker?

3 Likes