How to make angular patterns on an object?

Hello everyone,

I am designing an object and I want to add a pattern on the surface of this object I have drawn like in the pictures I have attached below, what is the easiest way to do this?

Knurling is not simple, yet, in Shapr3D. I’ve done this by creating the pyramid shape, then used the Pattern feature to replicate it around the body. However, my simple knob became a huge file with all the triangulations. I’m certain that one day soon, we’ll have a better way to add textures to our designs.

1 Like

Someone here will probably come up with a better solution, but this seemed to work. It’s hard to explain, but I’ll try:

1. I created a 100mm x 30mm disc.
  2. Create a triangle above the plane of the disc on the outside edge and in line with an axis of the disc (I used 20mm above the disc). I used a 3mm diameter triangle with the point towards the center.
  3. Rotate the triangle 30 degrees, looking at it from the front.
  4. Using the pattern tool, create a circular array of triangles around the edge of the disc with whatever angular spacing you want.
  5. Now, when you extrude the triangles, they will cut through the disc at an angle.
  6. Delete all but one triangle, rotate it in the other direction, create the circular pattern, and extrude again. Now you have a knurled surface and the extraneous triangles can be deleted.

You know the geometry you need and the shape of the knurls, but this should get you where you want to go.

2 Likes

Thank you for the answers.
it’s really hard to create a jagged pattern. I solved it like this, it was not exactly the same, but it worked for me in visualization;

First I drew a cylinder, at both ends of this cylinder (I found the right size by experimenting) I drew an equilateral triangle. I rotated the lower triangle with the REVOLVE tool by 14 degrees the length of the disk and did the same to the upper triangle and as a result it looked like an “X”. Then with the PATTERN tool I duplicated these “X’s” enough to wrap around the circle. Then with the SUBTRACT tool I subtracted the “X’s” from the surface of the circle. The result is like the picture below.
Sorry for my bad English. I hope I made myself clear.

2 Likes