How to model the red stitching decoration of baseball in Shapr3D?

How to model the red stitching decoration of baseball in Shapr3D? And surround the whole sphere along the edge. Looking forward to your help. Thank you very much!

1 Like

I think with projection from sketch plane in front of the ball

1 Like

The decoration is a Photo? It’s impossible to make a projection from a Photo to a sketch!
Only way: draw it at a plan surface of sketch and then bend the surface to a ball.

Simple plane sketch projection cannot be evenly distributed around 360 with the spherical arc, and this method of making red stitches does not hold.

The red stitches of the baseball are evenly arranged with the 360-degree rotation of the edges of the two spheres, which is its difficulty.

1 Like

This was posted here on the forum a few months ago, I just don’t remember which topic, maybe the creator shows up here, I think this is what you are looking for:

Actually, found it:

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/making-holes-in-a-sphere/5420/45?u=laci_shapr3d

4 Likes

Hi Laci,
This is the last time I consulted about football modeling, which is a great modeling method. I believe it has helped many people. But the red stitching of baseball is very different from football. If you hold a baseball in your hand, you will know what I want to express. It is a rotational stitching of two spheres. Their red stitches rotate around the whole sphere along the boundary. I know that if it can be sculpted on a surface in Nomad Sculpt, I really want to know how to model the surface in Shapr3D. Looking forward to your advice. Thank you very much!

1 Like

Maybe @welshsteve has some idea about it too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I’m looking forward to his appearance.

1 Like

Is this the sort of thing you’re looking for…?

1 Like

Here is another model with improvements to the hole spacing and stitching…

Please feel free to download the Shapr3D file…
Baseball.shapr (14.1 MB)

Hi Welshsteve,
Thank you very much for your presence! Yes, this is the right baseball effect I want. I’m curious about how you model red lines along the edges of the sphere? If it’s convenient, I look forward to your video production.

1 Like

You’re welcome.
I’m off to sleep now but will create a video tomorrow.
(It’s gone midnight here in the UK).

I’m glad to get your help again. I’m going out soon. I’ll talk to you later.

1 Like

Hope this helps…

2 Likes

Hi Welshsteve, I watched your production step video carefully, which is very inspiring! Thank you for helping me all the time! I sincerely wish you all the best!

1 Like

You’re welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

The model is far from perfect and could be improved. However, I think it’s a good starting point.

1 Like