How would I create a concave face?

I’m looking to create a concave lid for a box I’m making. I’ve messed around in Tinkercad subtracting a shrunk down half sphere from a square but it just makes a divot in the middle and the corners remain squared off. If I stretch the sphere to cover the whole lid, then it will take the straight edges off each face. I’ve recently got into Shapr3D and am just getting used to using the sketching as a base to my designs.

How would I go about doing this in Shapr3D? The closest example I can give is the top of the Xbox Series X. Is it at all possible? It seems like such a simple design to look at, but it actually seems really complex to replicate. Maybe I just don’t know the tool properly yet. Please help!

Thanks

1 Like

The best way to help is to upload a video of about ten seconds, which can more intuitively show the problem you need to solve.

This might work. A simple guided loft.

4 Likes

TigerMike, that looks promising! Is it working on both axis too?

1 Like

With both curves identical the depression in the surface will be equal on both axis.

1 Like

welshsteve! Dwi’n siarad Cymraeg! Diolch am y gymorth. That looks exactly what I wanted. I’m going to sketch it up now. Thanks so much dude

1 Like

Mae croeso mawr i chi. Ychydig iawn o Gymraeg dwi’n siarad :rofl: :wales:

1 Like

So I’ve been trying to recreate this and I’m wondering how you create a vertical sketch on the Z-axis like you’ve done there? So far my knowledge is limited to sketching on the XY axis and using extrude function to bring them to life

1 Like

Here’s a brief demo…

Any issues, please ask :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi,

You can sketch on any plane, including construction planes, which can be rotated to any position you want. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks guys! So you just change the view to front and then you’re sketching on the Z-axis. Pretty genius! Also thanks for that video Steve, I didn’t realise you could use Loft like that, almost like a 3D fill tool

1 Like

Yes, selecting front view will allow you to sketch on the Z-X plane.

Remember too that you can sketch on any plane regardless of its orientation by selecting it and pressing spacebar which will orient the entire view so that the selected sketch is co-planar with your screen ready to sketch on.

1 Like

Hmm interesting. I’m on the iPad and the spacebar shortcut doesn’t work. I wonder if it’s a different key as that would be super handy. Also, I miss moving objects with the direction keys like I used to do with Tinkercad. Do you know if this is possible in Shapr? I find it handy for precision stuff

1 Like

I’m using a MacBook Air M1 and don’t use an iPad.

On my MacBook I can double tap a face or plane with two fingers instead of using the space bar.

On the iPad I think you double tap the face or plane with a single finger.

1 Like

Indeed it does! Beautiful

I’ve only ever used the iPad Pro, pretty amazing what a 2018 model can still do! LumaFusion / Procreate / Shapr3D. All brilliant apps

1 Like