I have a print that is too large for my printer. What are some ways I can break it up?

My printer can print prints that are 3.5inchesx3.5x5.5. This print I have (pictured) is 13"x5x4. What are some ways I can print in multiple parts and then attach them together after it prints?

1 Like

When I have to cut a STL file into smaller parts I use the free Raise3D IdeaMaker Slicer program. I don’t slice with it but it has a Free Cut function that lets you cut up your model anyway you want in any number of parts, which you can then export each part as a separate STL file to bring into the slicer that you use for your 3D printer. Use the IdeaMaker to do an Auto Repair. You can download IdeaMaker for Mac, Windows or Linux for free - https://www.raise3d.com/download/

If you have any questions about cutting up your part with IdeaMaker then contact me.
I would have uploaded screen captures but as a newbe I am allowed only one attachment.

I am sure that there are other options out there also, I use to use NetFab until my paid private license got lost in the buyout with AutoCad! However the Raise3D IdeaMaker Free Cut function works really well and it is super easy. You don’t have to use the slicer function or anything else with IdeaMaker, just the Free Cut, just import the STL file, cut it up and export each cut as a separate STL file with it own name of course.

By the way, IdeaMaker is an excellent slicer, I use it with a couple of my printers but I have to use Cura with my Ultimaker S3.

1 Like

Peter, while I haven’t tried this myself, wouldn’t the native Shapr3D split function achieve this?

I don’t think this will work because I need a robust way to put it back together, using this tool alone there is not a way to attach the pieces.

Remember to do an Auto Repair on the sliced parts before exporting them.

When using Free Cut you can cut in any direction, on any plane by rotating the cutting plane.

I use IdeaMaker to repair my models all the time, it pretty good at it.

Like I said, I don’t use IdeaMaker to slice because I have an Ultimaker which uses Cura but IdeaMaker is also an excellent slicer if you could use it on your 3D printer.

1 Like

Sorry I could not help, I usually design my larger models keeping in mine that I am going to cut it up, I just glue the parts together.

With that being said, the large model parts that I cut are usually parts that are used on even larger whole models. These are studio scale models that are very large.

Peter

You can use the split body tool to divide your object into parts that will fit on your printer. To glue the parts back together after printing I use “pins” or dowels to register the parts. This means that you need one extra step after splitting the body - creating holes and pins. Depending on the size of your project you could size the holes to your filament diameter. The filament provides handy pins when cut to size.

Prusa Slicer is free and has profiles for several “other” printers built in. It’s feature packed and works well. cutting projects is built in. Profiles for 3rd party printers | Prusa Knowledge Base

Also if you search the forum here, there are many ways to split a body in irregular ways. without using a “splitting” tool.

You can do mortises, dovetails etc to help strengthen the cut/ splice and insure proper alignment. One sketch bisects 2 of the same housings any way you choose.

You can always consider 3D printing services that could process this for you, and they don’t have to come at large quotes when you consider startups with proven 3DP technology that can easily print in those dimensions.