I want to attach a body onto another

Hi, how do I touch-surface while one is straight and another is curved like attached picture?
What I want to achieve here is the cup with embossed logo on the surface.

Thanks in advance!!

Shapr cannot correctly project to anything but a flat face for now. We have high hopes…

Workaround is needed. A couple ways exist. My way is quick and dirty. I’m in my skibbies and flip flops drinking coffee (6am here), I will slip out to my office under cover of darkness in a little and show you my method. (My office is literally 6 feet away and the neighbors never mention my scantly dressed transgression to their eyeballs. I’m big, hairy and mean looking so eventually there might be a call to the authorities. I’ll play senile). (Come to think about it, if I strap a side arm on I’ll probably just blend in with the locals and the authorities won’t respond :rofl:)

The other way is much more difficult but “might” yield a better result depending on your use. Accurate method to wrap a sketch to a cylinder

The latter method works on a cylinder but I am not sure it works so well on a tapered cylinder such as your cup. I suspect there will be distortions no matter what you do. But you could perform the method on a cylinder and then scale the bottom smaller like your pint/ shot glass?

Hi,
In the case of noobdesigner, he can use Tool > Project and Extrude projected surface.

Look at the size of the logo and the shape of the cup. Distortion. Any way you cut it there is going to be some distortion. Shapr doesn’t handle this well. I have done it successfully (for printing, not machining) using boolean ops.

2 Likes

Some of the distortion can be mitigated by slightly scaling the logo horizontally ever so slightly with the boolean method.

Yet on this example the logo has a diameter of 3mm and once projected it is still 3mm

And out of curiosity the projected arc’s length?

horizontal distortion is very low
1/10 of mm more : 3,1 mm

It’s OK on a tapered cylinder and organic shape
see screeshot

but I look forward to a WRAP and FLOW function in the next updates.

1 Like

Which is fine as long as the diameter of the model isn’t small/ the logo is large.

1 Like

correct, mine is very detailed so wont work…

Hi,
I had intentionally made a simplified logo for the principle. But of course, you can do the same with a more detailed logo.
Here an other screenshot.