Projection to cylinder stretching on sides

I am new to Shapr3D. Over the past couple of weeks, I have completed a few designs with success.

Today I was experimenting with the Projection Tool and noticed that when I projected a dxf onto a vertical cylinder, the dxf did not wrap itself around the cylinder as expected, maintaining its shape. Instead, the dxf projected itself onto the surface and stretched the left and right edges like a rubber band.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal for an object such as a cylinder?

Unfortunately, Shapr3D does not have a “wrapping” function.
One could do so much more with such functions than just wrap something around a cylinder.
A lot of users are waiting for it, requests are made again and again, unfortunately the developers do not provide any information in this regard.

1 Like

Without wrap capability, Projection is of little to no use. I could accomplish the same thing by importing a dxf, making a copy and simply moving the copy to the surface of a flat object.

You can do a lot with the 2D projection, the function is certainly not useless. For designs that require wrap and embossing, I always use Fusion 360.
The same applies to copying along a path.

So if I understand it right, wrapping is a different function compared to the projection tool and this is not possible into Shapr3D but can be done with Fusion 360. Will this be a function that will be added to Shapr3D ?

Although there are many threads where users are requesting this feature, I have never seen an official response from a Shapr3D employee, so I guess that’s a long way off.

This is exactly the sort of thing they should have had a long time ago but instead they keep concentrating on 2D drawings. I thought this was supposed to be a 3D design application. Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine and I find it inexcusable.

1 Like

Well, we need to see this more positive. Shapr3d is a very powerful and easy to use 3d Software based on direct modelling. So, for easy and fast designing the best you can have. The projection tool actually does exactly as the command you give it. What we are looking for is a kind of cheat (tool) which will calculate the projected design exactly on the required geometry without any disturbance. However I think this is a very difficult mathematical calculation. So I guess this will not so easy to develop. It will be nice of course if such kind of tool will be developed and let’s hope so… On this form there are different (but more complicated) examples to get it as you need.

1 Like

Shapr3D is I believe a CAD application primarily, with excellent modelling functions. For hard surface modelling it’s hands down the easiest app to use of all the various offerings out there.
I think for UV mapping, adding images, textures, materials etc., for now we need to look outside of Shapr. That’s what I’m currently doing so I can bring my work into the Quest 2 headset.

Maybe one day we will be able to do it all in Shapr3D :slightly_smiling_face:

There is a workaround for this but it is a bit work. Have a look at post I recently posted Wrap text on curved surface

Hopefully that will help

This workaround is a good example of tinkering with a lot of effort that is actually done in seconds, at least in many other CAD programs. Wrapping something around a cylinder is the simplest example, when it gets more sophisticated there is no workaround for it.
The lack of functions such as wrapping, embossing, copying along a path is the reason why I have to keep accessing other CAD programs.
It’s actually a pity, because I like to work with Shapr3D.

1 Like