Import Feature

I’ve tried several times to import .step and .iges files without any luck. I created the files using AutoDesk Fusion 360 on my Mac. I then use AirDrop to share them. I’m prompted by Shapr3d to load the file and tell it to load it in a new workspace. I have yet to see it pull it in at all. The workspace remains empty after import.

There are several possibilities here including the possibility/likelihood I’m not saving the files correctly from Fusion 360. I’ve tried starting from an STL file import. That doesn’t work. I’ve also tried creating a new simple sketch and extruding it in Fusion and then exporting that as .iges and .step. Those don’t work either. Any suggestions?

Interesting, it shouldn’t move anything at all, I will check. It should place the object where it was in the source modeler.

So this morning I tried it again after reading the responses and I was able to load a .step file that I created from scratch in Fusion. However, the files where I imported an .stl into Fusion and then exported as .step, didn’t work.

Also, I checked the groups popover and there was nothing in there.

Yes, that’s correct. I should write a blog post about the differences of mesh modeling and boundary representation.

Yeah. That might help, Istvan, as I would bet many people, like me, are new to 3D modeling and are using Shapr3D precisely because it is far more intuitive than other apps including Fusion. Understanding differences like that would be helpful. Thanks for the feedback. I have gotten another .step file to load correctly in the mean time, btw. Thanks again.

1 Like

I have been planning to do this for a while, I just didn’t have time for it yet :frowning:

We wrote a post on this topic last year:

http://blog.shapr3d.com/export-import-formats-supported-by-shapr3d/

It was also discussed on the forum:

If you feel that anything is missing from these, just let me know and I’ll extend the posts with extra info.

1 Like

Cool. That’s helpful!