Internal screw threads and knurling

How do i create an internal thread. I wish to draw an hexagon shaped nut such as would be screwed onto the end of a bolt.
Thank you for help, i am still in my trial period and i need to find a way to do this. I can create an external thread its the internal one holding me back.

I also need to find a way to put knurling on a cylindrical surface, can this be done?

You just have to use the subtract tool, and subtract the male part from the female part.

If you are going to make these parts, you will need to scale up the nut or scale down the bolt by a bit so they will easily fit together.

Your knurling question is interesting. I would approach it by doing an external thread like the bolt with a shallow pitch and then do the thread in the opposite direction and see the result. Trial and correction should work for this.

9DAC47C8-3C9F-4A47-B85D-504E4E5B81AC

Best,

Tommy

I’m not sure yet how to do that, is there a YouTube tutorial.

Any thoughts on knurling?

Thank you for your help, I am having great fun getting to grips with the features.

Mike

Here is the documentation of the subtract tool:
https://support.shapr3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001414994-Subtract?mobile_site=true

The knurling I would create by creating one piece of it, then I would use the tranform tool and copy it.

You can find YouTube videos on knurling using a lathe. I remember seeing some…

Often, thinking in a machining sense (metal removal) helps, but then thinking in an additive sense (3D Printing) is also a complementary paradigm.

Good luck,

Tommy

Thanks for your help, I have fitted a bit to a bolt , I will try the knurling and let you know

Mike

4 Likes