Is the pattern the right tool?

Hey all!

I need some advises again. Please have look at this image:

My question is related to riffled middle part of the monitor. As @Stephen mentioned in his post for my other question,I thought the pattern tool can help again. BUT: patterns are only available straight or circular. So, what would you suggest how to design this middle part?

Thanks for your ideas!
Frank

Do you mean the hood shaped parts?

1 Like

Yes, I mean these parts.

I don’t know of there’s an easier way, but you could iteratively create the front section, draw a sketch of the next section on the rear face of the first section, and then extrude it to create the next section.

2 Likes

Good suggestion from TheBum.

I’d additionally suggest a profile of the hood and then Sweep it around the area you need.

2 Likes

Oh men… you are awesome! Why do I never have ideas like that! :smiley:
Thanks, I will try that out. :pray:t3:

But I see one difficulty:
This solution won’t work, because the ascent from back to front on the top and bottom is less steep than on the right and left.

It won’t matter, you just need to factor that into the box you are sweeping around.

If the hood is collapsible, you can use Split Body on a plane at each section. I’ve done one here to show how.

When I sweep around that inner rectangle, it will produce a gap on the left and ride side.

I’m not sure I understand. But I’ll try it with a rectangle and repost in a few minutes.

Yeah, it has to go from a rectangle to a (nearly) square.

Here’s my 2 cents. I used a combination of Pattern and Subtract.
I made a dummy body with a cavity which was scaled up in two directions and used for the final Subtract.

3 Likes

Oh, this looks promising! I will try that out. Thank you!

Excellent result Mike. Great work as usual :+1:

1 Like

Thank you Stephen. Always glad to offer a different approach. :sunglasses: