Is there a faster way to duplicate an object in-place?

To duplicate an object, I currently resort to a hack whereby I move it 1mm forwards in copy mode and then 1mm backwards in non-copy mode.

What is the correct way duplicate an object?

I find that moving forward (or any direction) by 1mm or so and then moving back to zero will make the copy. You don’t have to move again in non-copy mode. Try it.

Remaining in copy mode will make a third object on the move backwards.

Regardless: I am looking for the correct way to duplicate an object.

Moving objects around is not a serious solution.

I’m on an iPad Pro using the Apple Pencil. When doing the initial copy-move, do not let go of the Pencil and make a 2nd move. That will make the 3rd copy as you stated. Merely move the object forward and back in one motion thus making only one copy.

4 Likes

@TigerMike Great tip Mike, thanks for that.

Just curious: when would you need a copy in exactly the same place as the original? I always find that when I need a copy it needs to be somewhere else in the design so the ‘copy while moving’ move just does it for me.

I just did this this week multiple times.
I’m creating various designs of a part that is placed on a reference mesh, and I need to keep the variations positioned in the same place (mount points to the reference)
I just hide the previous versions and/or isolate the current copy I’m working on.
So it kind of works like a revision history.

4 Likes

Sometimes you may need to do a Boolean such as Intersect or Subtract on the copy after you hide the original. Other times you may want to keep a reference copy in the same space.
Also what @NathanD said.

3 Likes

Makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

No problem. Another good reason is if you plan to add fillet radii all over the place. Making design changes can be problematic where you might need to delete some radii. Having a backup comes in handy. I know, I’ve been there.

Yes - I do the same - it helps with deciding different design scenarios.

The copy in place used to work before by entering 0 as the distance. This was disabled in one of the last updates.

I often do this when I need to change appearance, but keep functional geometry in place, ie. mating features with another part. It’s a good way to make objects that look different but will still fit into place as the original.

Another way is to select, use move/rotate, enable copy, rotate by 360°