Locking 3-D bodies

I routinely like to draw in the dimensions of the items that surround the item I’m trying to design. I use these as guides in my design, so being able to see them while designing is super useful. That said, they are not really part of my design, but merely reference. Is there a way to mark a layer as reference, or lock the 3D bodies so they cannot be altered accidentally or accidentally selected while designing my actual part?

I’ve been able to somewhat approximate this functionality with my 2D drawings that are mean solely for reference by pushing them backwards into other planes. The sorta works for reference drawings, but it doesn’t really work all that well for reference 3D bodies.

What I tried:

• Toggling visibility of the items: this helps sometimes, but tends to be more trouble than it’s worth.
  • Searching the forums: the last post I found related to this is back in 2020, where the requester is told it isn’t yet possible, but that’s it’s on a list of features being considered for future development.

I was hoping that maybe someone has already solved this problem, or better yet, that the function exists and I simply don’t know how to use it. Help?
-Leah.

2 Likes