Loft Tool to follow a curved line

Hello All,

I would like to draw the design below.

I have read several articles on the forum related to this, but I am unable to create this shape.

Using the Loft Tool creates a nice gradient from A to C, but it logically goes in a straight line.

I understand that it is also possible to generate a non-straight line between A and C (in the shape of the hook), but then this line must be connected to the perimeter of A and C. In my design, this is also the case. But if I shading A and C and then B, no loft is created… See attachment for my design.

I am using Sharp 3D Beta on a macBook.

Possibly there is someone who can tell me if I am on the right track but still forgetting something, or if I need to change my method :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for your reaction.

Hook 280124A.shapr (882.4 KB)

If the line bisecting profile A is in the same sketch as the circle, change that into a construction line and give that a try.

Also double check that the hook profile is in fact linked/coincident with the projected edges of the two circular profiles. This is often the cause of a loft failure.

I’m not sure if the little end of the hook above the small profile will affect the loft, but try trimming that off if the two above fixes don’t work.

1 Like

I play a little time with your sketches.
As I see need more cross section… and can use guides…

3 Likes

Hello @NathanD and @JST , Thanks for your quick responses! I am going to test with your suggestions and see if I can construct it now.

1 Like

@jst I was playing with finishing the tip of the hook… how would you go about creating a tip that is continuous with the loft and rounded nicely. I can’t get a clean solution when I check the zebra. I’ve tried many different approaches. Close, but not ideal.
I don’t do a lot of lofted modeling like this.

I would add a very small circle cross-section at the end that matches the guided lines, then a fillet tool after the loft tool.

I used this solution for the nose part of the fuselage of my model airplane. This cross-section is a few tenths of a millimeter. It is no longer visible in the finished product.

Thanks, I’ll give that a shot
I’ve always had trouble capping a loft like that.

Another thought: I would make a body of rotation with a round base in place of the peak, and use that circle as the final loft cross section. Then I would use the touch interface function in the history tree. You can see something similar in the “span handle” youtube video tutorial.
I would ask the s3d guys if this would work?

Good afternoon All,

The suggestions provided by @NathanD and @JST have super helped me complete my exercise properly.

@NathanD Changing the normal line to a ‘construction line’ indeed ensures that while selecting a plane, the entire plane is selected.

@JST Applying several sketches creates the shape. This can be completed by also clicking on the outline of the hook (guides).

A nice project for a beginning draftsman. Below I post some screenshots of the progression.

Thank you :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Nice work👍🏻

Looks clean where the hook end terminates, too.

Thanks @NathanD ! Using the ‘Chamfer/Fillit’ Tool, I applied a rounded tip on the last circle.

1 Like