Loft two objects that have been moved from sketches

I am trying to loft two objects that have been moved from sketches that they were formed from. I found an article that said I can pick two faces on the objects but that doesn’t work. What am I missing?

https://support.shapr3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Hi,
Loft works only with plain surface (a disk not a ring).
So in your case, I would create the first two solid bodies, then use loft to make the junction.
Use union to create a single body then the shell tool to make it hollow.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response.

The top piece is actually an ellipse shape for a vacuum adapter that I was hoping I could reuse at other angles, I guess the answer is not easily.

Hi Bill,
@PEC is master class. He gave you what you need to do the job.

It is impossible to tell that the top body is elliptical. The lines on the top an bottom of the cylinder (?) have no mention.

Try this. Open History. Suppress the two shell steps. Loft the two faces with the guides. If parts need to be combined, union them. Shell the parts.

If you run into problems, come back, but details will get better results than asking the community to guess what you want.

As @PEC mentioned, Loft only works with plain surfaces. Here’s a way to do the loft. Add construction planes to the cylindrical ends and Project the diameters onto the planes. Hide the two bodies and do the Loft and Shell.

1 Like

TigerMike, What you suggested is what I ended up doing. A problem I have is finding the centers of existing objects. Probably not the best way but what I’ve been doing is using the move function arrows and counting grid lines.
I did use loft and shell to make a straight version but I need the angle in it. Is there a way to bend a straight body like that? I watched one Shapr3D YouTube channel from end to end but it didn’t go this deeply into the more complicated tools. Can you recommend a book or video to move me along?

Bob,
Thanks. I understand the benefit of more details. Is there a book or video that goes deeper into SHapr3D than the tutorials on YouTube?

Bill,

I don’t know of that type of resource, sorry. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a good answer.

You’ve probably gone through the videos in the Tutorials section.

One “problem” with Shapr3D is the software is getting new features and updates on a regular basis, like every 2 weeks! A consequence of that is that many of the videos out there which were good when they came out, are sufficiently dated making it difficult to follow along with the presenter.

2 Likes