How to... Loft in a circular path

I would like to morph an “M” letter to an “K” letter in a circular shape - so the outlines are connected, but not in straight lines, but via a path of a circle. So the end result would be a cylinder, with two sides showing the silhouettes of “M” and “K”, if positioned in a right way.
Loft would be the tool for that, but unlike in Fusion, Shapr3d doesn’t seem to offer a feature where the loft would follow a path (in Fusion you can set ‘centerline’ for your loft), it just connects the two shapes with straight lines.
Fusion feature:

Hi,

You can use guides for loft to follow, see the details in the following article:

Hello Laci_K, thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, I was aware of the loft guide feature, but that only works for cilindrical shapes if you want tho morph between the shapes from the bottom of the cylinder from the top of the cylinder.
In my case, I want to morph between the sides of the cylinder. I would like an ‘M’ shape to morph into an ‘R’ shape.

It should work regardless of the exact shapes, as long as the guideline’s points are set correctly, here is a quick example, you can have more for more accuracy.

First I created construction planes using the 3 points variant to make sure they intersect the correct points of the sketch, then created the sketch guidelines on them.

Then used the lines as guides for loft:

much like in this two face illusion tutorial
https://youtu.be/02NbgZD12BQ?si=yP-JfstU8yee7_w-&t=406

Thanks for putting in time into the example!
So this is still not what I would like to achieve, I’ll try to describe myself better.

I would like a shape like a vase that is round in the bottom, round in the top, but have the outline of two letters on opposide sides. If you rotate it correctly on a table, you would see the outlines of the two letters. If you don’t position it correctly, you would see the outline of the lofting process that binds the two shapes, not in a straight line, but in a circular fashion, so it still looks like a weird, asymmetric vase.

I hope this is a better explanation.

Hello Laci_K, what do you think? Seems like I’m stuck.

Hmm, to be honest, I still don’t really get what you are trying to achieve, maybe draw a simple hand sketch so we actually see. What I get still should be possible using loft, and maybe adding a different sketch to the middle between the two letters.

Thanks, I’ll try to explain myself better.

Let’s say we have to different shapes drawn, I’m going with the face example here, like the example below: IMAGE 1 and IMAGE 2

I want them to morph into each other by revolving. Simply lofting creates straight lines between the two:
IMAGE 3

I want to achieve IMAGE 4 without the visible gaps in the center (in the picture below I just revolved the both shapes 90degrees): IMAGE 4

I think there should be a loft via path or circular loft option. The suggested solution of using guides would not work because it wouldn’t create a perfect cylindrical loft I suppose.

Ahh, I see now.

Could you try using the replace face tool, once you reach step 4? that should connect the 2 faces, though it might not be the nicest transition.

Another method I would try, is to create a cylinder as a base shape, draw the two sketches for the “sides”, then manually draw a third one in the middle (following a circular path) . Then you could use loft and guidelines to create a body, that you can subtract from the base cylinder. Not the simplest but I think it could result in a nicer end product.

Great! Appreciate your time and effort!
So in Shapr3D there is no way to do a circular loft. I’m afraid drawing in-between steps would be tedious and would possibly not look as good. Not sure how edge case mine is, but Blender and Fusion has such feature, so I guess we can say it is something that people would use.
I myself will have to move to blender (or fusion trial) for this one thing, because advanced circular loft features, like skewing the loft lines (to do a circular loft with a 30° skew in it) would be interesting for my project.

I suggest this might be a great new shapr3d feature.

1 Like

Is this what you want?

Thanks for trying, we actually identified an issue here, and will check when/how can we fix it!

1 Like