Make a line perpendicular to a curve

Hello, another question: Will it be possibe in future to make lines perpendicular to a curve. In the sketching modus I do not see this option. However if you add a construction axix perpendicular to face this is doable, although not easy to do it very accurate. See below photo’s:

What you can do right now is to add a helper construction line that you set to be tangent with the curve and then make the actual line you want to draw perpendicular to that:

Adding a proper “perpendicular to curve” constraint that would make this additional step unnecessary is on our short-term backlog.

Regarding the construction axis: you wrote that you don’t find that accurate. What’s not accurate about it?

2 Likes

Hi Peter, great to hear that a “perpendicular to curve” constraint is on your short-term list. This will makes is very easy. For now I will definlty try your helper, thnx!
Regarding the construction axis, I mean it’s not accurate to place axix correctly on the exact required position on the surface of an Ellipse or curved line. Also you cannot specify the dimension between 2 axes. Or do you have some suggestions ?

You’d indeed need some other helper for that. Depending on what you’d want to achieve, you could either use other 3D construction geometries (planes, axis) or a sketch to define the point where you’d want your axis to start. When you add the perpendicular to face type axis, at the step where you define the reference point, you can snap to intersections of the edge and sketches and eg. construction planes.