Mass Properties Calculations

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

The problem that this feature will solve:

This feature would use the geometry and material densities specified by the user to calculate mass, cg, and moments of inertia of parts and an assembly.

Consider adding screenshots and as many details as possible, to help the Shapr3D team and the community understand why you need this feature. Describing your workflow helps us building the right feature.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

This feature should allow me to enter material properties (specifically, density) for each component and it would then calculate the mass, cg, and moments of inertia of a selected part or a set of selected parts.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

Calculation of the mass can be done manually using the total volume of the part and the material density. Calculation of the other mass properties is not practical.

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

This is a workflow blocker for me. To accomplish this, I must export a model to SolidWorks, specify all of the relevant information, and then allow SolidWorks to perform the calculation.

2 Likes

I agree with this request. Adding not only a center of gravity measurement tool, but also mass moments of inertia, and area moments of inertia would be really nice to have. As it is, I too have to export to another CAD like Solidworks to calculate these properties.

1 Like