Materials - Visualisation

Hi - I am wondering if I can add my own materials somehow ? I am in the refractory
industry and would need more ceramic surfaces than provided in Shapr3D’s library.
Looking forward to your reply !

1 Like

That can’t be done at present. Maybe in the future it will be possible.
There are other options such as using an external renderer. I use Keyshot, which is easy to work with and has a vast library of materials and allows me to use my own if I want to.

On the iPad you can use Cadmio, it has the feature to import your own textures.
On desktop Blender can be an alternative as well. It’s not only for visualization but a complete 3D package, so it may not be so easy to learn, however, it is free.

Thanks - will try this ! BR, B.

I have Cadmio on might iPad as well, but adding my own textures has limitations.

That’s a recent Cadmio render of a bus cab I’m working on. It came in very useful for the seat and floor materials, but bump or displacement maps can’t be used. That’s why I’m using Keyshot for the final renders when everything else is done.

3 Likes

Thanks - looks promising !!!

Adding and or saving modified materials would be a good option too. And what i also miss is the option to ad “stickers” on a surface. This is for years an option in Keyshot and I use it a lot. Can both options be added?

Stephen you said you added your own material to Cadmio i would be interested in know how you were able to do that.

Thank you

@danno11 I’ll do a short video soon Dan. It will be easier than trying to explain it.

ok, Thank you

Here you go Dan. Cadmio won’t record pencil taps like Shapr does, so I’ve done a voiceover to make it easier to follow.
Basically, from the Utility Materials I dragged the Custom Material preset onto the seat cushion. Then I resized and rotated on the three axis until it looked right.
I repeated the process for the seat backrest. Then again for the headrest.
I hope this helps.

Thank you Stephen, that helps very much. Hopefully Shapr3D will have the ability to add our own materials soon that would make their Visualization so much better.

Thank again

Heyo Stephen!
Using Cadmio now already a view month, but I didn’t manage to add my own HDRI background. Did you model the environment around the seat in 3D or is it an HDI environment? If not, do you know how to insert one or what file format it should have? So… I know where the upload button is, but: Normal .jpg / .png / .tiff files cannot be selected for me, they are grayed out.

cheers, Timm

Hey Stephen.

This is exactly what I need and was hoping Shapr would allow me to add my own fabric materials from the swatches we have and apply them to CAD models of the sofas we are on with making.

Would you mind giving me a push in the right direction to getting sorted with it. Never heard of the other platform. Really new to this sort of thing but were needing to get more involved with CAD these days for projects we are working on in the upholstery game.

Cheers Danny

Hi Danny,

Cadmio will allow you to apply your own materials.
Also, there is Light Tracer Render which is even better, but works on PC, Mac and also online. It doesn’t work on iPad. It gives much better results and control than Cadmio and is cheaper at around $5 a month.

1 Like