Measuring distance in topview

I am looking at the lessons at Draw 2D sketches. In part 10 - I try to do what the teacher does - I have to measure the distance between two circles.
On a Windows destop with a mouse, how do I do that?
I know that I have to use the measure function, but then what? None of the keyboard combinations with the mouse leads me to measuring the distance between the two bottom circles.

Switch to sketch mode by pressing the Sketch button (or pressing the space button while hovering the sketch), then select the centers of the circles.

To select multiple items, hold down Shift while selecting.

1 Like

Hey Istvan,
that leads me to a thing I thought about earlier (and caused me to curse the windows-app): Why is it the Shift-Key for selecting multiple items instead of STRG (what would be Windows-Standard - with Shift your select a range between the two selected items)?
Cheers Matt

1 Like

Strg is Ctrl on German keyboards, right? It varies between applications. Some applications use additive selection as a default, while others use Shift or Control modifiers for additive selection. When we implemented this feature eventually we chose Shift, there is no particular reason why there couldn’t be an option for this. So far we didn’t receive too many complaints about it.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong - I am not complaining (not really), but the experience on Windows could have been better, if Shapr would act like all the other apps I use.
I am often switching between SolidWorks and Shapr - and I often clicked several Items using the STRG / CTRL-key, performed a facepalm :man_facepalming: and did it again with the shift-key being pressed. :smiley:
As the CRTL-Button does not seem to have any other function, in my opinion no option is needed - just make the CTRL-key do the same as the shift-key! :wink:
Cheers Matt

2 Likes

I agree, that must be frustrating, we’ll look into this.

1 Like

Thanks Istvan.
So the Measurement icon is a toggle! On or off.
I didn’t realize that. It is not mentioned in the tutorials/lessons under Draw 2D sketches, or maybe I was not alert at it :slight_smile:
About Shift and Ctrl (thanks Matt): don’t make them do the same, that is confusing, my opinion. In the Windows environment Ctrl is normaly for choosing one-by-one. And if you give both keys the same function you will have one key less for future functions.

1 Like