Modeling contours on guitar body

I’m brand new to Shapr3D and have and need some guidance. I’m trying to add contours / “comfort carves” to a guitar body that I have modeled.

The selected sections are what I’m trying to adjust. The contour lines on the face would be peaks, level with the face of the model. The outside edges would get dropped .5” toward the bottom of the model. I’ve figured out how to do the large flat section with rotate around axis, the rest has me stumped. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

1 Like

Bump. Really hoping for some help.

David, one method is to create planes away from the body, then sketch shapes onto these planes. Then extrude these shapes through the guitar. When the shapes “interfere” with the guitar body, it will change to removal.

Here is a video of some sculpting of a helmet. This may help. 3D modeling a bicycle helmet on iPad in Shapr3D - YouTube

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

1 Like

I gave it a try, I’m not sure that’s going to work for me. The issue is that some of the contours will be going around corners. There is a Shapr3D video modeling a red Stratocaster body. In the video when they do the “belly scarf” on the backside of the body, that’s what I’m looking to do. It appears as if they just select the line and push it into place. I’m missing something clearly.

Hi! There was a similar topic in the past, is this what you are looking for?

Yes!!! That’s exactly what I need for the top of the body! Thanks for the thread link! Last question though, in the Shapr3D red guitar body video, what tool is being used on the bottom side of the model for the contour? Is it this same process but not shown? It’s at 1:16 in this vid:

Thanks again for the guidance!

1 Like

I’m glad that I could help! The tool in the video is the Chamfer/Fillet tool, it had some different settings when the video was made so it did not chamfer the whole edge chain.

With the current settings, it will chamfer the edge chain. To prevent chamfering the full chain, please split the body with the Split Body tool, apply the chamfer, and Union the parts together.

From 1:23 the chamfered face was simply rotated with the Move/Rotate tool to give it a different tilt angle.

2 Likes

Fantastic, thank you!