Chamfer Double Taper?

Hi,
I have a curve (part of a guitar body); and I want a deeper chamfer in the middle of the curve, and then I want it to taper on both ends of the curve.

YES —- I saw previous posts; but these only show how to taper a chamfer on one end. I figured out how to scale ONE end and have the chamfer trim down to zero (see screen snapshot); but I want the chamfer to taper down on both ends.

I kind of don’t want to redraw my whole body, and make it TWO bodies; because in the end, I’ll 3D print it, and I need it to be one body.

Any suggestions?
Thanks In Advanced

Here’s a possible workaround. I subtracted a cylinder that was angled at 45°. The radius of the cylinder is smaller than the radius of the contoured part you wish to have a tapered chamfer.

2 Likes

Thank you - the finished product is what I want.
I’m not sure exactly how to get the cylinder positioned exactly where I need. I guess I can try to play around [more time]. I realize a tapered chamfer is rather complicated, but for a CAD tool it doesn’t seem too odd.

Thanks Again

I understand what you are saying and what I had shown is a mere workaround. Here’s a variation that might help. Occasionally I will make a part semi-transparent to help me when performing a desired result. Interesting phenomenon is that the area where the Subtract took place ends up being semi-transparent, which by the way can be useful in certain circumstances.

2 Likes

Mike……Thank you for this.

Any suggestions on how to create the cylinder that “cuts” the tapered chamfer?

Each side of the instrument is unique. My gut feel /guess is that I’m drawing a circle, that’ll extrude to make the cylinder……but I’m not certain how/where to draw it?

Perhaps two points in the circle intersect the two endpoints of the curve I am trying to chamfer….but then what?

I had a similar idea to Mike but when I looked - he’d done it better…

But I did think that you could create the “cylinder” by copy/moving the curves from the side of your original guitar body sketch and using that as the curved edge. Once you have this curved line, add a chord between its ends to create a closed shape you can extrude upwards, rotate around an axis passing through the curve ends and lower onto the guitar body for your subtraction.

3 Likes

WOW!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! I’ll say it backwards: WOW!!

I do want to say to the Sharpr 3D folks monitoring……… we need a work around here. This is a sort of work around, but it’s not MEASURABLE; that is I’m cutting a shape with another shape, but I can’t measure and get the “cut” or the chamfer I want.

With the chamfer tool, you tell it.

PLEASE - while the “scaling” kind of works on one end of a chamfer; make it work on both ends. Thank you!!

(and yes, there will still be somebody who wants variable depth chamfer; oh well)

I tried…… I followed, or as closely followed as I could, the video. Here’s the end results: something kinda what I want……but again, it’s not a MEASURED chamfer.
[insert crying icon here; get out Fusion 360]

I think you can obtain a measured chamfer by following @KPeter method on your other post.

@VmusicV what about using the scale tool?

Then you can manipulate the size with a combination of adding more chamfer and rescaling.

Edit: I just noticed your points on scaling, so this might not be what you’re looking for.

Hi,
FIRST……Thank you for your reply.
secondly…… how specifically did you SCALE and get those results (a crescent or semi-circle with tapered ends, and a chamfer in the middle) ???

I am somewhat of a Newbie to Sharpr 3D, and I’ve used Fusion 360 before. :::: I do not get those results.

Might I trouble you to list the specific steps, or make a screen video of the process?

I “think” what you did was ONLY scale on the bottom line of the chamfered edge, correct?
I “think” I got it, or very close to it.

-

I used the scale tool on the chamfer surface, not the edges.

That WORKED …… I don’t understand why nobody else knew this?

Thank you, Thank you!!

1 Like

Great! Nice to hear.
Question: Does this meet your requirement as a MEASURED chamfer?
If so, where is it measurable?
Thanks.

GREAT QUESTION……yes, and no.
To make a prototype instrument; from design to prototype on a CNC machine, yes it will work.

To be honest, after I do the scaling and the taper happens, I don’t know how to measure a distance in SharpR3D?

Here I put together a way for you to measure the chamfer at the center of the arc. In this example I chose a 0.5" x 0.5" chamfer. Therefore the diagonal dimension is 0.707". The Scale method does a nice job of bringing the ends to a point however it also scaled down the center diagonal as well. The ends are not exact but can be adjusted close by tweaking the scale number as I did in my example making it 59.7%.

You can determine a precise measurement if you use the method that @KPeter suggested. If you want to specify the diagonal dimension then you need to divide that number by 1.414 and use it as the offset for the chamfer. (Example: a 0.5" diagonal dimension would require you to use a chamfer of 0.354" x 0.354".) The beauty of using Peter’s method is that you can change the angle of the chamfer to be anything other than 45° if you like. The 2nd half of the video shows Peters method.

3 Likes

Well……OK, Houston we have a problem……

So I suspect because my curve is NOT symmetrical - but the scale here doesn’t work. You can see the pic below. Now I’m kind back to square one……

WOW!!! This is amazing. Thank you soOOOOOoo much!