Modify of a 3D design imported stp

I imported a 3D drawing of a 20m long rail. I have to make a curve of this rail and I did not understand if and how to do it.

Hi,
Can you please upload some pictures about the model to help us better understand your question?

Once the design an attachment is imported into Shapr3d , no problem to change the size but I also have the need to curve this object.

How can I do this.

Thanks

Best regards

Fausto Pantini

ROTAIA 60 UIC L=20M.stp (49.6 KB)

The easiest way I can see to make a bent rail is to use the cross-section of the rail and sweep it through a curve. The tricky part is making sure the curve is the same length as the original rail, if that’s an important consideration.

1 Like

I followed this help link (https://support.shapr3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/7873938030492-Section-View

) but shows me a section without being able to create a shape with which to build a new solid. Did I do something wrong? Is there another function I don’t know?

Consider that I have 10 days to check if I can get what I need urgently to be able to confirm the purchase of the product.

I would be grateful if he could help me.

Best regards

fausto

You don’t need to use the cross-section function. As you can see in my video, just select the profile at the end of the rail, which is equivalent to any cross-section along the length of the rail in this case.

I would be grateful if you could send me the link of the manual where to find the function.

Hi @Fausto,
@TheBum has a great answer.

Since the cross section of the rail is uniform, a face on the end of the rail is a good profile to use.

Here is the sweep tool in the manual.

I created a 2m rail I cut it with a “parallel floor” in the front face in half (1 m) creating two equal parts that I then moved. Then I followed the Help that you sent me (but I had already seen it) I tried to do the Sweep function but it doesn’t work. I select the two faces (as you can see in the Help video) but nothing appears to continue. It appears at the top, as per attached print screen, the writing “selects lines or curves for the thorns” but they do not seem to be as there are in the video of the Help. I attach both the print screen and the project.

Best regards

Fausto

Rotaia test.shapr (36.2 KB)

Sweep uses one face and a path, not two faces. Here’s a Q&D example of how to use.

2 Likes

@TigerMike is not only great, he’s quick!

Here is another way where I used a spline for the guide. (I used one of Mike’s techniques of redo at the first of the video to help get a shorter video… I’m always learning from Mike! :slight_smile: )

First I drew a spline connecting the two rails.
Then made each end tangent to the rail.
Finally sweep the face along the spline.

2 Likes

Then only way to connect two faces is with the Loft function and it won’t give you a smooth curve like the Sweep function will, even if you do a guided loft.