My first Shapr3d creation

I recreated an old building in my town that no longer exists using maps and reference photos. I’m really excited how it turned out and I’ve learned a lot!

18 Likes

That is a very nice job :+1:

1 Like

Now take your device to where it used to stand and use the “AR” feature to project it on it’s old location and take a photo :slight_smile:

I want to do that, but I’m not sure how.

1 Like

Presuming your iPad has the AR capability, you choose Export, then Augmented Reality. Then select Preview 3D Model. You tap the screen to place the object. You can move it around. Point the iPad camera at the location, then touch the screen, and the capture button will show up. Take the picture.

I don’t think my iPad can do AR. It’s an older iPad, 9.7”, but I will check it to see.

Could I do it with my phone? I have an iPhone 14 Pro.

Check out this manual article to see the different options:

AR works reasonable well even just based on photogrammetry, which does not require special sensors, just a camera. Check out this Apple page to see if yours supports AR – but ones starting with the 5th generation do, so you’ll likely be good.

But if not, using your phone is also a great alternative, and the Pro’s LIDAR sensor would make positioning a lot better. Check out the linked article for details, but basically the way would be to use the “share” button in the desktop or iPad app to export your design to the web and then open that link on your phone, where you’ll have an AR option, too.

1 Like

Thanks! I will definitely check this out!

I’m still on an iPhone 11 and AR works on that, so it will definitely work with your iPhone 14.

The older model iPads don’t support it. Some newer iPhones can do AR, but Shapr3D doesn’t run on the iPhone.

You can export the USDZ file from Shapr3d and airdrop/email/message to the phone and save to files/open it from there with the native AR Quicklook.

Alternatively, you can use the webviewer sharing in Shapr3d and send the link to your phone by whichever means is easiest. Once the link loads, choose the option to view in AR.

Edit: I see this has already been explained.

Nathan, yes. Good suggestions.

That looks really cool and like a fun project!

Really nice job mate!!

really great work!!