Need help designing a model

@TigerMike interesting kind of solution. will try it out later.

Happy you got there in the end.

The reason I chose to to move the sides individually instead of using the loft feature is because there could be a case where you might want to only move one, two, or three sides rather than all four. The loft feature would naturally loft all four sides together. The sweep method is quite good too as suggested by @PEC

It’s good to be able to solve a problem using a variety of methods. The more tools you have in your tool box… right?

1 Like

This is a great way too especially for symmetrical bodies like this.

1 Like

You just amazing! Oh how can I offer a cup of coffee for you!

2 Likes

Hi @Gene,

Thank you for the kind words. I’ve been using Shapr3D since November of 2018. So, I have seen many many updates and feature additions since then. My mindset is totally tuned into the direct modeling approach of creating 3D geometry. I find it fast and intuitive and I do most of my modeling on the iPad Pro. I try to minimize the sketching aspect and get right to the 3D entities I create. I say that because more often than not I’m making changes, corrections, additions and redesigns to those entities. Creating models is rather straight forward. Changing them can be challenging which is why I like to say that Replace Face and Split Body are a couple of favorites of mine.

I’ll take you up on that cup of coffee if you are ever in the vicinity of Southern California. :grinning:
Regards, Mike

2 Likes

Hej @TigerMike,

I have tried out your solution and it worked like a charm. Thanks for your input and I have learned how to sketch more effectively.

Thanks.
Thorsten

2 Likes

@PEC.

I was wondering how you manage to record more than a minute of video and keep it under 10mb. And yes the slower frame rate is noticeable but not objectionable as you point out. Thanks for sharing.
Question- So, if I take an edited video from iMovie, then play it back on my iMac desktop, I can re-record it, so to speak, with CleanshotX with the idea to get better compression?

-Mike

@TigerMike
Yes you are right, I’ve just tried with about 3mn video edited with iMovie, then played back into Quicktime player while recorded at 10FPS on CleanShotX, and then compressed with CleanShotX, to go down to about 8MB.
With CleanShot X, you cannot select the final size, but you have a cursor setting the compression level and an estimation of the resulting size. You can repeat the compression process (which is very fast on my macbook air m1) to further reduce the size of the video until you go below the 10MB threshold. It usually takes 3 to 4 successive compressions.
I recorded the conversion process so you can have a clear idea of how it feels.

I take this opportunity to thank you for all your videos that are super useful, with very elegant solutions, I learnt a lot from them and from you.

1 Like

@PEC,
Thanks for sharing and taking the time to put together the video. I will give CleanShotX a try.
I appreciate the thank you but note that your contributions have been excellent. I’m blown away with your wrapping text around a curve workflow. Really nice. I too keep learning new methods and this forum is a great place for all of us to share ideas and learn from each other.

Regards, Mike

1 Like

Perhaps it were a way to ask the admin to extend the limit for video uploads?

1 Like

another way…
Uploading: IMG_0695.MOV…

3 Likes

Excellent! This is what direct modeling means!

3 Likes

You are the best of the best!

Yep! Split Body also is the most often use method for manufacturing .

But, in this example you are defining the angle without dimensioning the upper block and will have to perform extra steps to get the dimensions of that upper block correct.

The scale tool is probably the way to go to get precise dimensions.

2 Likes