Need help for adding a Facatte on glasses

L I created a frame for glasses. Now I need help to add a facette, so I can take the lenses in the frame. Hope you can help me.

.l

1 Like

I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking.

Is this what you’re looking for…?

2 Likes

There is a corner around the Glas, so i have to make the same corner in the frame. It is for fitting the Glas into the frame.

1 Like

Aha, now I understand.

You have a idea what I can do?

1 Like

Superimpose the glass onto the frame. Then Subtract the glass from the frame. Is this what you intend to do?

Hi @SuperJuppy! I think I got the idea after designing some unique eyewear frames in the past, the facette can be a challenging detail depending on the complexity of the frame and the lenses.

Let me share two workflows below. None of them will be pinpoint accurate, but I hope you’ll get the idea.

The first one is a simple Sweep along the edge of the lense. I would advise using the lens as a sweep path as it may be much simpler than the detailed and filleted frame. After finishing the sweep - if the result is accurate enough which cannot be said in my example - you can simply Union it to the lense and remove the whole thing from the frame. Keep an eye on to keep the originals while applying the Subtract, otherwise, the subtracted lense will be removed.
The other path is the dirty way I’d say. There should be a copy of the lens which is thinner than the lens itself. After offsetting the perimeter of the thinner lens, you can chamfer it to get the shape of the facet. Then merge the thin lens with the original one and subtract again from the front of the frame.

2 Likes

You could subtract the lens from the frame…

1 Like

Thx, i will test it the next days. I will tell if it works

2 Likes

Ok, that means I have to add it first on the lens and after that I can at it to the frame front right?

It is up to you. You can apply the sweep to the frame directly, but I’d expect the lenses to be a simpler shape

1 Like

I think you are right, I test it right now. Thank you

1 Like

Now I have the problem, that the lenses are straight. I need the curves like the frame front. Any idea how to do that ?

Use the sketches of the frame and create the shape for the lenses without cutting out the shape of the lenses

Sry, but I don’t know how it works. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

No worries, let me share a video that I hope will help:

Instead of new sketches, you could create the lenses by using the existing ones that defined the frame to make sure the shapes will match.

1 Like

There are several possible solutions for this but here is a simple one…

The next step would be to add an edge profile to the lens then subtract a duplicate of the completed lens from the frame to match the lens’ edge profile.

And here is an alternative solution…

@Istvan_CEO_Shapr3D… Love how ‘split body’ works on compound curves too!

1 Like

Thx, that looks a bit easier for me. I will test it now.

1 Like

Im Reallohn sry but nothing worked. I have no Idea What i can do.
I dont know How i can See the existing Sketches and the Split Body also dont work

1 Like

No worries, we are happy to help! Please upload some screenshots of the current state to help us find the next steps.