Object names not exported in STEP

Hi Guys.
I’ve recently purchased a subscription for the product and have produced a number of simple drawings. In order to produce a decent cut list / BOM I have exported the drawings using STEP and imported into fusion 360 just so I can then use a script to produce a csv based BOM.

The problem is that all drawings lose object names when exporting. The folder structure seems to be retained but all are just named body.

I thought I saw someone else discussing this but the last post was “we will look into it” what is the status of this problem? Is there something I can do to fix this issue? Or are there better ways to export this sort of info that I’m unaware of?
There appears to be no real bom feature, no cut list no easy way to export the drawing to create a useable cut list.

Thanks

Have you tried exporting using X_T format?

No at $700 that’s way too expensive for one additional function. The yearly price for standard is already too high

Is there any movement on this?

Just checking. So your answer is to spend more?
Really poor support for a very expensive yearly fee.

We are still investigating the issue.

Is there any update on this?

Hi! We have looked into the issue, and it indeed appears that the exported .step file does not correctly represent the folder structure you see in Shapr. This turned out to be partially our fault, thanks for reporting it!

In-house we have a fix in the works, which solves the problem with folder (component) names - however support for the body level is still an issue: It seems that Fusion360 is unable to load names of individual bodies within a component.

(You can see this yourself: try exporting an assembly as .step from Fusion and importing it back)

We have also made a prototype build where during the export flow we put standalone bodies into components with the same name as the body.

So exporting this file from Shapr3D with the new option…

Yields you this structure in Fusion360:

Would adding this as an option to the STEP export flow help with your usecase?

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. I really appreciate the effort.
This fix will definitely help with that. Renaming components underneath the folder names will be much easier

Thanks

1 Like