Parametric Drawing in Shapr3D

When I started 3D printing a long time ago, my hunt for a CAD that I could use to support my hobby started. I had only used 2D AutoCAD before that and maybe SketchUp. I found it more interesting to talk about how I would draw/design something rather than what bed temperatures, speeds, and feeds I use.

I’ve tried many (most?) different 3D-enabling CADs since then. This is the first design I made specifically for 3D printing, which I eventually uploaded to Thingiverse a decade ago: Printable S-Hook . I still use OpenSCAD for “variable-based” drawing sometimes.

Today, I finally reproduced this in Shapr3D’s parametric alpha version. I know it is not a super complex thing, but it brings me great joy to finally be able to design a “parametric” thing in Shapr3D visually rather than try and code it in a tool like openSCAD

Seeing where Shapr3D beta is headed is very cool.

4 Likes

Great design to showcase parametric sketching in Shapr3D, simple but effective. I can honestly say you’ve definitely sparked my creative bug for today. Headed to my laptop now and the first stop Shapr3D!

• Printed Imaginations
1 Like

How did you get access to the alpha version so quickly?..

1 Like

I signed up and got lucky to be in the first batch.

1 Like

We’re extending the group every week, if you signed up, you should get your invite soon!

2 Likes

I signed up weeks ago but haven’t heard back yet.

2 Likes