Part Enclosure

Hello. I have a security cam that I would like to hang in a window. There is no window mount for this cam and there are no 3MF/STL/STEP files for the cam so I’m going to have to design a mount myself. I’m considering purchasing a 3D scanner to assist in the design of an enclosure for this cam as it has rounded edges and I would like to get the mount correct. Basically I would like to create an enclosure that goes around the cam, like a mold. My thinking would be to import the 3D scanned file of the cam and then begin with an extruded rectangle and then split the rectangle into two pieces, a front and back, so the cam can fit inside. After extruding the rectangle, I’m not sure how to proceed to “hollow out” the front and back to accommodate the cam; the front and back would fit around the cam capturing it so that it cannot move inside the mount. I can’t seem to find a tutorial for doing this and I’m wondering how to proceed? I hope my thought process is understandable. Anyone have any ideas? I appreciate it. Thanks.

What you are wanting to do can be done, albeit not entirely simple. The quality of the scanner is relevant. The format the scanner provides is key. An STL or STEP can be imported into Shapr3D. However the scanned item isn’t typically fully editable. I scanned an Arlo camera, and subtracted it from a rectangle created in Shapr3D.

1 Like