Parts bin / store / warehouse

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

The problem that this feature will solve:
the goal is to be able to create parts and reuse them in other projects. This would mean things like screws and assemblies.

Consider adding screenshots and as many details as possible, to help the Shapr3D team and the community understand why you need this feature. Describing your workflow helps us building the right feature.

Lets say Im designing a housing for a product. I’ll need several screws and their corresponding mating threads;
i’d like to be abel to drag and drop the screw and its threads without having to draw it and copy it. Once I draw my parts, I’m probably going to reuse them. If i could download a screw within the shapr enviroment, that would be awesome. If shapr could create one instance and copy it within the model work environment, i would expect/hope that would allow my computer/ipad to interface with less resources. This isn’t vital but might be a nice way to implement it.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

to be able to use drawings in shapr without having to import. Being able to upload my generic parts and have a way to share would be rad too.

Eg. “this feature should allow me to edit and create constrained assemblies with 100 000+ parts” or “using this feature I should be able to create G2 continuous lofts and manipulate the shape real time” or “with this feature I want to be able to quickly find a part in my designs by searching for its name”.
Understanding the outcomes that you expect from this feature helps us more than describing an actual implementation of the feature that you’d expect.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

super fast design times. :slight_smile:

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

Its not a complete block but does add a lot of effort and time to my work.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! I don’t have an exact timeline for this yet, but it is definitely on our mid-term roadmap.

(I am quite sure you are aware, but to be certain: if the main things you’d import are standard screws and similar hardware, McMaster-Carr’s site is a great source with a fantastic search engine for X_T or STEP files that you could import over to Shapr3D. This of course does not help with custom-designed parts.)

2 Likes

Thanks for the response!
Yes, the McMaster method is essentially the one I’m currently employing. Perhaps an intergrated tool that scrapes the data from the website might be neat pair up of the two companies. This could be a really fast and seemingly accurate way to fill the metaphorcal ‘shelves’ without costing Shapr too much.

To compliment the UI that we all love so much, is ideal. The workarounds feel so at odds with how well the shapr UI works and flows. I believe a clean, integrated way to browse the internet data(models) as well as previously drawn models to ‘drag and drop’ these parts, assemblies and mechanisms into a different project would improve user productivity, significantly.

I do hope this feature gets examined and developed by your team, i think it would really add to everything that shapr is already doing very well.

2 Likes