Persistent Text Editing

The problem that this feature will solve:

Currently there is no way to change the contents of a text box after it has been drawn, as it is immediately converted to splines.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

When selecting previously created text, you return to the original text editing box, allowing you to edit the text within the same scope as the initial modeling. It would be nice to have additional features such as having a construction box persist around the text, allowing it to be defined by other parameters. The ability to rotate the text box natively w/o using the select/move command would also be nice, but not as important.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

All of our models have a version number stamp to help control iteration and testing vs production. Having to go back and delete the splines and extrusion associated, then redoing the entire process is impossibly inefficient, especially with large numbers of models requiring frequent iteration.

We currently have an API written in fusion that updates the version number text box automatically upon saving the model.

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

This missing feature, along with lack of version control (version numbers automatically changing on save, the ability to revert to prior versions and log changes between versions), the inability to derive features from one model into another while retaining links to the parent model for changes, and the lack of ability to link parameters outside of sketches keeps us from using Shapr3d.

Just ranting:

We design/use multiple simple models that require frequent iterative changes and use common interface features. This means we need all of the above features to ensure accuracy and consistency.

I’ve said multiple times how much I love the Shapr3d interface, the ability to use an iPad and laptop natively, and the fact that it runs well on iOS. Fusion is such a pain to use on iOS BC the integration always seems to be an afterthought. I keep returning to the beta hoping to see that Shapr3d has become a viable option for production CAD modeling. When/if it does, I will drop fusion that day.

1 Like