Shapr3d Getting Worse With Every Update

I feel like Shapr3d is becoming worse with every update.

I use the second to latest IPad Pro to model and a Logitech laptop to export and slice the files and ever since the history update was introduced I have experienced data loss and project corruption, leading to me loosing hours of work. Not to mention the fact that I can’t even delete my old sketches because if I do, every subsequent modification becomes fucked up. I wouldn’t mind keeping the sketches in a hidden folder if it weren’t for the fact that they still count as elements in the projects, making the project itself bigger and slowing my device. It has gotten to a point where Shapr keeps on crashing (on my iPad) while I try to open my latest project because there are too many complex sketches. My question is why introduce such a feature when it only brings drawbacks? And at the bare minimum you should allow users to toggle history based designing on and off.

You also made the fillet/chamfer tool way worse to use on IPad. Before I could just select an edge and move my apple pen up or down thus crating a fillet or a chamfer. Now I have to manually select either the fillet and the chamfer and then slide my pen across the screen to modify the object. My question is once again why. Why modify a feature that was working great before and turn it into something that takes more time to use and is more annoying?

I want to end this by thanking my university for allowing me to use the pro version for free, because I wouldn’t pay a single cent for a program that I feel like is actively cannibalizing itself.

I agree we should be able to disable the history stuff as it has slowed the app down on all my devices. My iMac used to tear through any project but since history it can be real sluggish. Also in agreement with the sketch deletion, I get really annoyed when it also deletes the body it is associated with, it never used to do this.

I haven’t tried the new chamfer tool as I cancelled my subscription until I need to use it again. If only we could get a cheaper subscription, maybe a hobbyist tier without any of the history…

I was also mad about history based design. constantly deleting objects, “green ghost of past” strange thing I did not understand.
At first i just time to time click on “merge history” and then deleted all annoying sketches like I was used to.
Than I find some time to understand that history mess and now, I am quite happy with that.
Need to say that there is lot of unintuitive things which needs to be fixed. Now when I start project, I make quick shape to get some shape in old manner. Than I start again with proper order, to make everything prepared for later edits, and make all sketches named properly, everything in folders, and nice organized.
Than I clean up history, name all steps and tried to minimized, merge or change the order to reduce steps, to make it more streamline and easy to edit, and make more satisfying as well:)
Outcome is great and I really like history based designing, It makes changing anything really easy (if you prepare your file good way) and also you feel bit like Neo.

I would love, if you can switch off that history based designing just for some steps in designing instead of merging and deleting those annoying sketches or planes. And It will be awesome if you can put some steps in history to the folders to be more orgainsed.

I am working on this object for two weeks, I change that object countless times, print it on 3D and change again, to find best possible shape. Thanks to history based designing i am happy now, instead I will leave it week ago at it was because, i will be bored to death to change every small detail again and again.

I want to say, that it is not bad, but there are lot of issues coming with it which needs to be fixed to make that process more efficient and easy for us to use.

and chamfer tool works same as always, i think. (now in that history thingy, you can click to edit edges you want to select, and if you click on the face, it chamfer all adjust edges, which is also great)

I hope You will also find out, that Shapr3D is better than before, even there is pain some times:)

Yeah, the whole forced update was a deal-breaker for me, including the snark and gaslighting towards people who had real concerns.

The way sketches are now handled contributes to most of the clunkiness. For instance, I have been designing a machine, and I go into isolation mode to create or modify a new component. Often, this component will be behind an existing component, which is why I isolate it. But now, too often I create a sketch and modify something, but now the sketch is in the way. People always say hide them, but not only is the sketch already “hidden” in the items list, it really isn’t hidden in the real world.

So, I have to go out of isolation mode to make the sketch disappear, then find the components I want to isolate again, and get back to work.

All this and we still don’t have threads.

1 Like