Prusa MMU3 mount

Upgrading my MMU3 (5 color indexer) for my Prusa MK3 printer. I am removing it from the printer and mounting it to the underside top of the enclosure (Also my design). I created and indexer so I can tilt it. I have no idea how the force/ flexibility of the plastic (PLA+) will work here so it’s trial and hopefully no error. Any thoughts would be welcome. I need to determine the type of infill that will least affect the flexibility or perhaps I will probably have to adjust the thickness of the indexer. I suppose I could use a ball and spring as a separate assembly if I have to. Critique is welcome. :laughing:

MMU3 sits on top of printer. I am removing it from the printer so I can easily remove it so work on it
Prusa enclosure2

2 Likes

My plan is coming together. It will be much easier to disconnect the MMU3 and remove the printer to work on it. Now I just need to reinvent a filament buffer to work with my dryer boxes on top. Shapr makes it easy! :laughing:

2 Likes

Hey oregonerd, not related to your design (which looks great) but to your mention of redesigning the filament buffer…… your setup is similar to mine, I have 5 spool holders above the mmu which is attached to the printer. My solution was to run ptfe tube from the spool holder to the shelf sitting under the spool holder (roof above printer). I took the ptfe that comes out of the mmu and created a bracket on the back panel behind the mmu to hold the ptfe tubes. This leaves a ‘fresh air’ gap bee tween the ptfe tubes.

The filament buffer is effectively the gap between the 2 ptfe tubes. I’ve been running it like that for 2 years and only had 2 instances where the loops of filament in the buffer got tangled together…. Might save you a bit of work….

1 Like

“My solution was to run ptfe tube from the spool holder to the shelf sitting under the spool holder (roof above printer)”

I’m wrestling with that idea. Simple and easy to load too. Giving it some thought. Not in a hurry. It should run fine as you say. I will run that way while I ponder it. :+1: