Quickly hide/show all sketches

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

The problem that this feature will solve:
Sketches getting in the way while I’m working with the bodies of my design.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:
It seems like this would have been requested previously, or maybe it exists and I just missed it, but:

Often when I’m working in Shapr3D, it would be really convenient to be able to quickly toggle all sketches on/off. Isolate Selection is helpful, but sometimes I have quite a few bodies I want to work with/reference without sketches interfering. A quick toggle button for hiding/showing sketches would be really helpful for clearing out clutter while working without having to manually hide sketches individually.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?
This is more of a slowing-down issue than a blocker. Often while manipulating/adjusting bodies in Shapr3D, I find myself trying to select something that’s behind a sketch and being unable to do so easily, so I have to open up the Items panel and hide that sketch, and sometimes others, to access whatever I’m trying to select.

An alternative could be a toggle to lock/unlock selection of sketches. Like something that basically tells Shapr “I do not care about sketches right now. Just let me tap on and select bodies or edges or faces. Pretend the sketches aren’t there.”

5 Likes

I could not agree more i have posted a similar request months ago and have heard nothing. it should be a easy command like “Hide” “Show only” “Show All Except”" or “On-Off” or even a “Blank or Unblank” pick would be nice because when you go to make a new sketch all the previous sketches get in the way. Maybe this will be on Shapr3d roadmap in the near future.

Thank you

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s something more specific that could be implemented, too. Like, just mashing them all on/off feels easiest, but … inelegant, I guess, in an app that is anything but.

Maybe a shortcut to Hide Selected/Reveal Last Hidden so you can drag-select the sketches in question (being able to filter selection to Sketches only would be useful here), then toggle off/on specific sketches?

‘Hide all sketches’ keyboard shortcut would be really useful here!

I think this is something that should have bee implemented a long time ago especially with the addition of History based parametric modeling. It would make modeling more seamless.

Some good ideas here to help speed up work flow. A ‘hide selected’ shortcut and ‘hide/unhide sketches’ would be useful. However, I can get around most of this by organizing items in folders and then hide/unhide the folder.

I agree. There needs to be a way to hide selected bodies. The opposite to isolating the selected. Then hide all and show all would be very useful.

What would be good is something like when selecting the body or sketch or planes is different toggles like “HIDE” “SHOW ONLY” “SHOW ALL EXCEPT” similar to other Cad software.

Fusion 360 handles this situation by placing all sketches in a folder. Then you just have to hide and show the folder. I wouldn’t be averse to Shapr doing the same thing automatically, although it’s not a big deal to drag them to a folder as you create them.

I am in the 14 day trial and to be honest I am going to cancel if there is no way to easily hide the sketch lines. I come from Sketchup which is like a crude version of Shapr3d BUT sketches are just non-existent. I don’t mind if they get hidden the second I extrude but then they should just be history. How do you even hide them period? I looked in history and you can only like ignore them which hides any geometry made from them…

You should take a look at the parametric beta, sketches are automatically hidden after you use them.

1 Like

Installing now with TestFlight.

edit - It still shows on extrusions. The initial sketch does auto hide but that should happen to all sketches.

Also are there was to make blocks/components?

edit - drawing lines in the beta seems very clunky. It sometimes drops the next line and starts over instead of drawing a continuous set of lines.