Removing sketches deletes/modifies bodies

After the new release of 5.590.0 (6756), deleting sketches has a critical impact on related bodies on my Mac:

1. When removing a sketch that created a body, that body will also be deleted

2. When removing a sketch that modified a body, that body will revert back to its previous state.

I have video examples of both scenarios, but as a new users I can’t upload to this forum. Sorry.

Is this a defect or a feature? If it’s the latter, can this be toggled off?

1 Like

@Istvan thanks, this information is helpful and answers my question if it’s a defect or feature:

Please note that deleting sketches will result in all subsequent models also being deleted. You can work around this by hiding Sketches, rather than deleting them, to preserve models you want to keep.

:thinking: But I’d still like to know, can this be toggled off? Just hiding sketches isn’t a good workaround. I have designs with hundreds if not thousands of items. And as mentioned before, sometimes a quick throwaway sketch to modify an existing body is part of my workflow.

I love Shapr and appreciate you all, but give users the ability to toggle this off :frowning:

3 Likes

No, it’s not possible to turn of parametric modeling. Sketches are hidden automatically after you extrude them, and you can also hide them with a single click, just like deleting them.

May I suggest that you create a folder named Sketches, hide this folder, and just drag the sketches you don’t want to see into it?
This is probably the closest behavior vs previous version.

But using the parametric version for a year now in the beta program, I changed my workflow for sure but couldn’t go back without history now. I acknowledge the transition period requires additional efforts but they were worth the benefits for me.

5 Likes

@PEC This is exactly what I do. I got used to sketch “folders” when I started using Fusion 360. The difference is that the sketches are organized in a special folder automatically in Fusion. I wouldn’t be opposed to a similar automatic grouping in Shapr.

4 Likes