Shapr files for purchase

I am using Shapr3D for a particular project (astronomy / 3D printing related) and I am content to learn the basics (plus a bit) to design the parts I need but when it comes to designing a spur gear and rack gear to fit I think the learning curve is a “bridge too far”. I have downloaded an stl rack gear from turbosquid only to discover I cant edit it (My fault).

I don’t expect this stuff for free and it needs to be a good quality / reliable model; is there a place to purchase good quality shapr models / files ?

Thank you

Don’t bother with STL files. Go to McMaster for free 3D files of all sorts of gears and racks. Download the STEP files and import into Shapr3D.

2 Likes

Mike

That is excellent advice, I can’t thank you enough, but here goes…….Thank you very much.

Ian

Mike

Do you know if it is possible to edit STEP files, for example I want to change the width of a gear which is in all other respects perfect.

Thank you

Answer…… yes you can

You’re welcome. Yes, you can edit those downloaded gears any way you want to. I do it all the time. I have a couple of std FDM 3D printers with 0.4mm nozzles and am able to print 32 pitch gears reasonably well for my use in prototyping. I prefer printing 24 pitch or larger. I print in either PETG or Pro-PLA. For gears, I also shave off a fraction of the tooth profile to get better performance results due to the nature 3D printed parts.

Yes, I edit the step files from McMaster Carr all the time.

@SgtBilko, here’s an example of one of my latest projects.

1 Like

Cool Mike. Maybe one day we’ll have Kinematics in Shapr3D!

4 Likes