Simple cut groove

on the Windows shapr3d i am putting a simple groove in a existing body cylinder it seems to me that i should be able to just sketch a rectangle on a plane that is at the center of the cylinder and just revolve the sketch and have the option to either cut away from the cylinder body or make the revolve a new body. but it only lets me create a new body and then i have to do a subtract to cut the groove away is this correct or am i missing something. Subtracting works but it is just another step i need to do. I come from using a parametric cad program for at least 25 years so may i am just familiar with those types of programs.

Thank you

2 Likes

Hi there,
You are right, Revolve does not have the auto-boolean feature that the Extrude tool has in Shapr3D. Would you need it frequently?

1 Like

Here’s an alternative way to produce a groove which I (sometimes) prefer to creating bodies and subtracting…

1 Like

I just think a lot of times when you are trying to get a project done it is all about getting it done quick so it would be nice if the option to either cut away or create a new body would be in the commands that would apply just to save time on having to create another step to get the design done.

Thank you

1 Like

Yes, I agree. It would be great if we could simply revolve a profile to boolean subtract directly from the body.

And the option to select either ‘new body’ or ‘cut away’ would be a bonus!