Sketching isn’t recorded history

If I draw a circle, extrude it, make a pattern of the cylinder, and then wish to change the diameter of all of the cylinders, I don’t see anything in the history palette related to the diameter of the circle. If I change the diameter of the cylinder after extruding it but before creating the pattern, that change is recorded in the history and can be changed later.

Without sketching recorded in the history, the history palette seems quite limited. Am I missing something?

This is common practice in CADs not to save history of operations in sketches.

Sketch planes and contents ARE recorded. In the history panel, click on the sketch where you drew the circle to Activate it. Make any desired changes either by direct modeling or numeric entry.

Since you have effectively TOLD Shapr3D where in the history steps to perform the changes, they will now propagate to all subsequent steps.

EDIT: I misspoke below here. I was thinking of normal modeling operations which very much depend on the order executed. Sketches will always interact with their associated bodies.

Disregard

•    NOTE: this is different than simply selecting the sketch plane 
       and drawing in **normal mode** where any changes are applied after
       the previous steps.

Disregard

There we go, thank you! The sketched circle was hiding under the cylinder, didn’t notice it. Flipping things over brought it into view.

You can also insert a breakpoint after the sketch step in the history panel. This will temporarily suspend all subsequent steps and allow the sketch plane to be more easily visible. Make your changes, delete the breakpoint, and voila.

2 Likes

However, you must change an existing sketch object for that to work (move, resize, rotate). If you delete the sketch object and recreate it, you’ll have to redo the profile selections in the steps that use that profile.